I thought some of you might want to use some of the ideas I am
planning for Fri, Sept 20, which has been declared an official
"Day of Mourning" at one of my schools for the card catalog
which is being replaced by an OPAC:
I have called the newspaper to take pictures and written an
article to accompany them. The card catalog is draped in black,
topped w/flowers and a has a black bow on the front.  I dressed
up a life-size cardboard figure as the Grim Reaper to stand
next to it and we are hanging black streamers.  We will be
playing "sad" music all day (Adagio for Strings, etc) and the
library will be open all day(I juggled my fixed schedule
classes to the beginning of the week)so everyone can come up, have a
cookie (table w/black candles and tablecloth) and pull a card
out of the catalog, write his/her name on the back and drop
into black box for door prize drawings.  The students have been
very tickled when I have described all this to them and they have
told me they will need lots of tissues when they visit!  Of
course the OPAC will be up and running at the same time all
this is going on for those who want to try it out (I have been
teaching the students for 2 weeks to use it).
If anyone has any other ideas I can use, I would be glad to
hear them.
Julia
--
Julia Steger                     ** A Lap Is A Terrible Thing To Waste--

LM_NET Archive Home