Here's the rest of your great ideas. Thanks a bunch!

We had a Hawaiian luncheon.  The second graders did the hula for us.  We
even did a wall size mural with palm trees & the ocean.  We did this in the
dead of winter.  We even had the kids involved.

Here's a thought -

One afternoon in the winter we had a "beach party"! After school we all
changed into shorts and beach wear, spread beach towels on the library
floor, brought beach balls, chips and picnic food - beach chairs - - the
whole bit. Someone brought a radio/cd for music - did some dancing, some
singing - it was fun - and really cost nothing. Great when it's snowing
and blowing outside. (BTW, this was faculty/staff only - no students)

hI,.. my school does "fat Friday"  anyone who would like to sign up, usually
in pairs, takes a Fri (there is a schedule) and does fruit juice, maybe
fruit, bagels,or doughnuts out on the table in the faculty room.. Before
homeroom, we all go to the fac.room and visit and keep in touch.. it is fun. bev

Hi,

Many moons ago a colleague and I did something similar...we had a
Thanksgiving Breakfast and everyone brought something...we had a St.
Patrick's Day Breakfast (my building likes breakfast gatherings) and I
dressed as a leprechaun...everyone wore green...another BIG undertaking
between both elem. buildings were faculty talent shows...but that is a BIG
project and is not entered into lightly.:)

Once a year we have a "make your own sundae" get together after school in
the commons.  The social committee gets all the fixins' (cherries, nuts,
choc., butterscotch, etc.)  and dip ice cream into bowls.  Each person
fixes her/his ice cream sundae and sits/stands and visits while with
othes as she eats it.

One of the most fun activities our faculty ever did was to "build"
structures--out of uncooked spaghetti and (stale) marshmallows.  The
kicker was that we weren't allowed to talk, even within the
(randomly-chosen) teams!  Laughter, however, was plentiful.  When the
activity was finished and we talked about it, we discovered a lot of
learning had been taking place--who took charge, who functioned smoothly
as a team, how people got their ideas across...We did it about five years
ago, and we still talk about it now and then.

Another fun one was when teams (again, randomly-chosen) designed "the
perfect bathtub" and then we all "sold" our bathub ideas.  Hilarious!

Have fun.  Sounds like you've got good ideas going.

Fidelis,
    You didn't say how large your school was. We have over 90 teachers
on our staff. After the fire we had in Jan., we started having
breakfast in the media center. Each department signed up for a
date - I think we held 8 in all. Food in the morning really gave
 morale a needed boost. (That was the blessing in disguise of the
fire.) The food supplied by each department was nothing elaborate
We had bagels, doughnuts muffins usually with juice. Special Ed and
Fine Arts went together and supplied some homemade baked goods.

Hi Fidelis-
Good for you in taking on this job of bringing the staff together!  A
couple of things that worked well in one school I was in had to do with
lunch even though we all,of course, didn't eat at the same times.  a
couple of times a year we had "baked potato" day when the social
committee purchased and baked the potatoes in the school cafeteria and
everyone signed up for toppings.  The other was similar with a "taco"
day; people signed up to bring one ingredient each.  Took little time or
money but we all appreciated it!  GOod luck!

A group of my friends has enjoyed both a Mall Rallye and an Airport
Rallye (we live near O'Hare in Chicago)  In either case, someone tours
the area ahead of time and makes up some rather obscure questions
based on things found in the mall/airport. The number of questions
depends on how long you want it to last.  It's better to have too many
than too few.  Use signs, window displays, etc.  Some examples What is
made in White Bear Lake Minnesota?  (The Smart Cart luggage trolleys)
or How many bottles of beer on the wall? (from an airport bar that has
a display of its numerous specialty brands)  Word them in such a way
that they really have to look for the answers, not just What color is
the dress in the J.C. Penny window?  Instead, Where is the "Lady in
Red?"  Set up teams, or partners and a time limit. Make sure
participants know where the boundaries are and have a Rallye Master in
a central location.  Winners complete the game first or have the most
answers correct if nobody has them all.  ...and enjoy.
--
------------

Well, that's it. I apologize if I ran one more than once.
I don't have much experience compiling "HITS."

Sincerely,

*  Fidelis Poncher, LMS      *                                            *
*  ponchef@mail.firn.edu     *                                            *
*  Interlachen High School   *  "It is only with the heart that man can   *
*  Rt. 1, Box 10             *     see rightly. What is essential is      *
*  Interlachen, FL 32148     *          invisible to the eye."            *
*  VOICE: 904-684-2116       *                                            *
*  FAX: 904-684-3915         *                                            *