On Sun, 29 Sep 1996, Sherry Wilk wrote:

> The ATT world net software referred to contains a browser that is ions faster
> than that provided with AOL...when it works!!  I am using it on a PC (486
> with a 28.8 modem and 8 megs RAM).  I tried it so I could get rid of my AOL,
> and as I said, its super when it works, but due to it being unreliable,  I am
> still using AOL for LM_net mail and other assorted goodies.  I am also
> thinking about switching all togethter to a local provider called
> Netrunner...

Sherry and Group,

I find this discussion very interesting.  When we dropped AOL and our
last bill was $130 (when it had *averaged* $30 per month previously), I
was glad that we chose to go with AT&T (our long distance provider).  We
have found AT&T Worldnet to be as reliable or more so than AOL and *much*
faster and easier to use. Could it be that "realiability" depends on the
population using particular lines?

We also use the free Juno e-mail.  We seldom have problems with it, but
those from more populated regions say they have some problems with
getting online and with slowness of downloading. Of course, since all of
Juno is automatic -- automatically logs on, downloads, logs off -- that's
not much of a problem. You just tell it to do its thing and then go do
something else. When you come back, it's downloaded and you respond off-line.

I just remembered that I have a hit about online costs. I'll get that
ready to post today.  Thanks for the reminder!

Betty
                                .----.
Betty Hamilton, LRS             |    |                701 Cub Drive
bhamilt@tenet.edu           ____|*    ~~~~~~.         Brownfield TX 79316
Brownfield High School      \               |         (806) 637-4523
                                  \     {
                                    \  }
                                      ~

LM_NET Archive Home