A whole lot of thanks to all the librarians for sending their April
bulletin board ideas.  My library aides are having a ball with this now
they are having trouble deciding which one to do. Anyway, thank you so
much.  Here's a HIT of April's bulletin boards.  HTH. :)

April is poetry month, so we've done a showcase with posters and books.
One teacher has done a bulleting board with pictures of her students and a
poem they wrote.  Also music month, so We're bringing in instuments we have
a home like an African finger piano, recorder, dulcimer and using books
about music.

>For April, I did "Spring into Reading" in raibow colors spanning large
>spring flowers (with faces) reading books.  My aide and I did torn
>construction paper flowers.  Hope this helps.

Since April is National Poetry Month I'm thinking of doing a "Keep a poem
in your pocket" bulletin board with a pocket containing copies of poems the
students can take with them. I plan on changing the poem every week. So it
won't become an all-consuming project.

April Showers bring Reading hours! and Showers of books Just a
couple of thoughts that I have used. HTH Helen Taylor

How about a big umbrella with the heading It's raining New Books or Neberry
and caldecotts or any topic.  Use jacket covers as rain drops or cut out
rain drop shape colored paper and write Title and Author on drop.

Spring into Books
flowers and plants
minor spring sports
Library Week
"Net Day"
Passover

I have had great success putting up poetry in very LARGE format. I have a
lot of wall space high up because we have high ceilings and the walls above
the bookcases can be stapled into. I use my banner making software to put
one or two lines of a poem per banner. That way I can get a short poem into
several banners and the text is really large. I staple these up and
surround with appropriate art to soften the edges. Right now I have e.e.
cummings "spring is like a perhaps hand" up surrounded by bright paper
flowers.

How about a board about April is National Poetry Month.
Have some kids find/ write a favorite poem and illustrate it.

I just completed one and it's quite attractive:
The theme is "April Showers" and the materials/equipment needed are
common.
1.  Use an old umbrella, hung from the ceiling over a desk or computer
with the cut out letters April Showers on the fabric (handle up, fabric
out to view).  They can be stapled or taped on.
2.  From the umbrella staple/tape "drops" of rain that have the holidays
in April:  April 1st - April Fool's Day (riddle and joke books), April 2
- International Children's Book Day (stories on children from around the
world) April 7 World Health Day (books on hygiene, diet and exercise),
April 13-19 National Library Week (stories on using and enjoying the
library) April 22 Earth Day (save the environment books) April 25 National
Arbor Day (books on trees, etc).
3.  Photostat the covers of the books onto varied colored copy machine
paper and display the copies on your bulletin board (hopefully near the
umbrella).  The caption for the bulletin board is "Kids Connect @ the
Library" from the National Library Week theme.

Maria T. Silva
Spanish/Librarian
P.O. Box 291
209 School Street