Dear Group:

Here is the HIT on "Guidelines for Web Page development.

Gail
-------------
From: Andy Carvin
WWWEDU Coordinator and Moderator
acarvin@kudzu.cnidr.org

NOTE: I found this list had several helpful postings which I am including.

Recommended list to subscribe to:

       WWWEDU (The World Wide Web in Education List)
       The purpose of WWWEDU is to offer educators, students,
       webmasters, policy makers, parents, and Internet
       users in general a continuous discussion on the role of
       World Wide Web use in education.

       WWWEDU's home page can be found at
       http://edweb.cnidr.org/wwwedu.html.

From: WWWEDU LIST (Chris Mitchell: Teacher / Tech Coord for Luther Burbank
Middle School Http://www.burbank.k12.ca.us/~luther)

Our district doesn't have policy yet. On our Middle school site, I try
to limit student names to first name and initial of last name. We have
some student photos, but not many yet.

I talk to students about "safety" concerns and why I don't want them to
use last names. I mention that some people worry that people might use
info about them or their picture to contact them, or lure them into
inappropriate messages.

I also mention to students and concerned parents that

1. Many have their full names and photos in publications like our school
newspaper - that outside people can subscribe to our pick up if they
visit our school.

2. The yearbook - available in our library, has name and picture.

3. We include names and pictures in local newspapers when students get
awards. Work goes out on display also, sometimes with name and picture

4. Names and pictures are often posted in our school display cases -
which are easily accessable to anyone who comes on campus outside of
school hours.

5. Public concerts - band, choir - include programs with names, and
people can easily take pictures to match face with name.

I don't see the Internet access to student names and pictures as being
all that diferent from these other ways of accessing that information.

We don't have individual email accounts for kids yet, I hope we will be
able to provide that with parent permission soon.

Since no one can directly contact students at our school via email
unless forwarded through me, I don't see major concerns.

I do remind students not to give out full name, phone number, or address
information over the Internet to people they don't know. (Just at they
shouldn't to any strangers they meet)

I have parents express concerns - but when I go through the facts anbove
- they seem fine.

Final Comments - I think schools/ districts should discuss INTERNET
safety/privacy issues within the context of general safety/privacy
issues. This would help to relieve some concerns that may be inflated. I
don't read many articles about "the Dangers" of students having their
name and picture appear in local papers, or football game brochures,
etc.

From: WWWEDU LIST
Ted Nellen (tnellen@mbhs.bergtraum.k12.ny.us)

These concerns are warranted, unfortunately. We have permission slips
our students must have their parents sign before our students use the
Internet. We may use student's names, but we do not include photos. We
may have group photos, but no id of students. Charactures have been
discussed but not used. Certainly personal info is questionable. All
contact is via email, even on their resume. We also strongly suggest t
oour students that they not arrange to meet anyone they meet online in
real life. I constantly bring in newspaper accounts of "bad" offline
meetings. I've seen many schools which only show the student's first
name. Care is an optimum word here. To facilitate your work, you may
find compromise is the best route to prove your point.
From: WWWEDU List
Yvonne Marie Andres (andresyv@CERF.NET)

A great resource for information on the topic of "Protecting Students"
can be found within Global SchoolNet's "Harnessing the Power of the Web."
The on-line version can be found at:

http://www.gsn.org/web/tutorial/issues

H.Protecting Students: Guidelines and Policies
H.1.Obtain Parental Consent to Publish Student Work
H.2.To publish Names, Photos, and Email Addresses... or Not
H.3.Articles and Resources on Protecting Children
H.4.Guidelines for Developing Acceptable Use Policies
H.5.Sample Acceptable Use Policies
From WWWEDU List
Stephen E. Collins (sec@umn.edu)

http://web66.umn.edu/ramble/

Examine especially the "Child Safety" section.
From: Mary Alice Anderson
Winona MN Middle School

Our web page guidlines are on our web site in the media/technology
section:

http://wms.luminet.net
From: Rob Darrow, LMT, Alta Sierra Intermediate, Clovis, CA

We are wrestling with the same issues.  So far my Advisory Board has set the
following draft requirements, since this will become a reality at my school
next year.

Our policy for our intermediate school so far:

1. Prior to any web page being posted, parent notification and permission
must be obtained....we're including some wording that lets parents know that
students from time to time may be updating their pages and that it is the
student's responsibility to only place appropriate materials on their web
pages.  And if there is an infraction, their privilege will be revoked.

2. Each web page will pass through a peer group first.

3. A teacher will be the final check before being posted.

4. Contents of web pages have not been determined yet, but we agreed that a
student's first name, grade level, school and city must be included on each
student web page.  Optional would be a student's e-mail address.   Web pages
need to be original work....nothing "used" from any other web site.
(We haven't thought about student pictures).

Gail M. Szeliga, Librarian
ehslib@spectra.net
Union Endicott High School
Endicott, NY 13760