Thank you, everybody, for sharing your suggestions for barcoding and storage
of our new CDs!  As you can see, our methods are as varied as each of us:

I have many plastic sleeves with spaces for 2 cds to a page.  I keep
these in a 3 ring binder with check-out cards for each cd.  The manuals
are kept on a shelf behind the check-out desk and are available upon
request or need.  This binder system has worked very well for me.

Sincerely,
Meg Leivas

When I was cataloging as library secretary for an elementary
school we left the manual and CD in the boxes.  Everything was
barcoded (box, CD case, and manual) but usually with the same
barcode number.  (you could also write the barcode number on
the manual and CD case if this was a problem), We checked out
the entire box.  SInce CDs were only checked out to teachers
the boxes stayed inpretty good condition, no problems with them
falling apart.  In the situations where there were multiple
copies of the CDs with only one manual, I barcoded each CD
separately and then barcoded the manual as a professional
material.  If this doesn't answer the question, email me back,
because I was totally in charge of this before I had to leave
my position at that elementary school to student teach and
complete my degre.
Odile
--
Odile Heisel  oheisel@pen.k12.va.us

Dear Suby,
     After saving the boxes for a year, I have just recently begun to throw
them out since I realized i never looked at them again after cataloging the
CD.  I put the barcode on the jewel case and then write the barcode on the CD
with a permanent marker (on the side with the writing.)   Somewhere in the
cataloging, I mention that there is a teacher's manual included and I store
them  in one place near where I keep the CD's .  But, I've found that the
manuals are not often used since the CD's are so easy to install and use.
 Have fun!
Sheilagh Menzies
Cairo Elementary Library
Cairo NY

I don't know how wise I am but I will be happy to share what we are doing.
> We keep all manuals in one place and check out on request.  We purchased the
>plastic jewel boxes from Demco (I'm sure other suppliers sell them as well).
> We place a bar code on the outside of the jewel box to check them out.  I
>place a paper strip with the barcode number on the inside of the box just in
>case the outside label is lost.  Cardboard boxes don't last long enough to
>save.  Good Luck!
>Leslie Lomers

>We store our CD's in the boxes, so that we can keep any documentation, like
>manuals, together with the CD.  I use the kind of bar codes that have a
>secondary strip that repeats the bar code number only.  I bar code the box
>and put the secondary strip on the CD, and note the "significant digits" on
>any documentation so that any pieces that come back as "strays" can be
>reintegrated. Also, when shelved, it is easier to find a particular CD if the
>call number is on a box.  Then the spine label can face out as the box stands
>up on the shelf, unless, of course you have a storage unit particularly made
>for CD's like you see in music stores.  We don't.  Hope this helps.
>
>Teresa Fyanes
>Sykesville Middle School
>Sykesville, MD

I toss the box (they take up too much space) and barcode the CDR (actually
>the jewel box) and write with a permanent pen on the CDR.  I also barcode
>(with its own number) the manual.  That way if they lose the manual I can
>still record that the CDR has been returned.
>______________________________________
>Jamie Murphy Boston, Librarian
>Davis Joint Unified School District

>I keep all manuals in the box with the CD.  When I catalog, I list
>everything in the 300 tag, then I place a barcode on each separate
>piece.  You can actually write the barcode number right on the CD with a
>felt tip marker.  Hope this helps.

Hi LM_Netters,
>    I am trying to figure out the best way to store CD-ROMs.  Up to now I
>have been using the typical jewel case tower but lately I've been purchasing
>the Living Books and other programs that come with a variety of additional
>materials such as books, cassettes, teacher activity guides, etc.  Someone
>suggested using a file cabinet with hanging file folders with sides and
>keeping it all together that way.  Then I would just give the whole file
>folder to teachers when they wanted to borrow the program.  Have any of you
>done this?  Any advice on the type of file cabinet, hanging file folders,
>etc.  Is there another way that works for you.  Please let me know.  Elaine

Suby, Please post your answers as a hit.  I too am struggling with this
>problem.  I'm thinking of bagging all CDs with and without manuals that I
>lend and putting the bags in hanging file folders in a file drawer.
>Wouldn't bar-coding the CD jewel case end up exposing the CD to too much
>magnetic juice in the scanner?  I don't know.  Joan

Hi,
We barcode the plastic CD box and write the barcode number on the CD label
side with fineline marker.  We have multiple copies so we want to keep
matched with box.  Ususally when CD's are signed out teachers do not want
the documentation.  They want it when they are learning to use the program
so (not much actual call for them).  The origional boxes take up too much
space and get ruined quickly so we don't use them for storage.

Ellen

Suby,

We purchased plastic cases for our CD-ROMs with clear plastic outside
sleeves for the cover (the CDs that came in cardboard sleeves - I cut up
the cardboard sleeve to fit in the plastic display front of the plastic
case).  The cases are black and from The Library Store.  I then 3-hole
punched the manual (if there was one, if not any information that came) and
put into folders with pockets.  The CD case goes in the pocket and the
pages into the binder.  Everything is labeled - the barcode number and our
address are put on the CD with a Sharpie (and it hasn't ruined anything in
over three years of use!), a barcode on the folder (same position as on a
book), and spine label on the folder.  We are continuing to shelve the CDs
separately.

The CDs that came in a bundle came with one large notebook with pages about
the different programs.  I ended up photocopying some of the pages to put
into the folders because the pages were done by Apple and not each CD had
its own page (is this what you've encountered?)  I also made photocopies of
the CDs to put in the display pocket of the CD case.

Cathy

Suby Wallace         swallace@nic.crsc.k12.ar.us
Nettleton Intermediate Center  fax: 501-930-3930
   (5-6 grades)               phone: 501-932-5650
3801 Vera                (area code changing to 870 in
Jonesboro, AR 72401                     April)

LM_NET Archive Home