We recently had a ninth grade student accused of plagiarism after uncited
material was found to have come from a source which was not even listed in
the Works Cited.

This incident has raised a question for us. How do we distinguish
plagiarism from simply sloppy research. For example, in the case above, if
the source had been listed in the Works Cited, it would appear that the
student had, without intent to deceive, missed a parenthetical citation.
Some of us feel that would merely be sloppy research, particularly in the
case of a ninth grade student. While there should still be a penalty for
sloppy research, the 0 on the paper which is the penalty for plagiarism
seems rather severe.

Does any school have a code which spells out exactly where sloppy research
ends and plagiarism begins? We are especially interested in one which sets
increasing standards as the student progresses through to the 12 th grade.

In addition, any specific definition of plagiarism that would be helpful
in making this distinction would be appreciated.

Please direct all responses to me at the address below.

TIA,

Kelley S. Wilson                "The naked intellect is an
                                extraordinarily inaccurate
(kewilson@mailbox.syr.edu)      instrument."  -- Madeleine L'Engle