I have a request from a parent of a severely disabled child.  He would
like to go on to college and can handle the academics but the logistics
are getting in the way.  He has cerebral palsy which keeps him in a
wheel chair but he is able to shower, bathroom, etc. for himself.  He
does not have any verbal skills but he does type and communicate fairly
well.  His mother said he does not need a full time attendant but does
need someone to do more than occassionally look in on him.

The question is:  where can he go to college?  He needs more than wheel
chair access to classrooms and dorms and they hate to just find a school
he likes and then find out they are not very accomodating.  Is there a
way to find out their accomodations first?  He could go to the local
community college but his mother said he is just like any teenager and he
wants to go away to school.

If you could help me with organizations or people to contact, I would be
very grateful and so would this family.  We are also looking for
scholarships but most center around loss of vision or hearing.

I will post a hit, if others are interested.

Karen Johnson
LRC Coordinator
Davea Career Center
Addison, IL