Well, gang. . .

The common understanding of the origination of this sagging pants business=
 seems to be the prison culture.  Belts are not permitted and the cuisine=
 isn't the best, so many lose inches and their pants sag.  ( A couple of=
 advances - or a sign of sexual availability - I could not disregard this=
 point entirely ... and it might get some of them to pull them britches up.)

The term "jailing" came up several times referring to the method of wearing=
 the pants.  It is an indication on the block that a person had done time in=
 prison.

It might also come from being able to conceal weapons - especially when=
 combined with those shirts or jerseys with long tails...

There was some concern by one person about the fear we host about people=
 wearing the style.  At our 4th and 5th grade school, it isn't so much a=
 fear of the child as it is a fear that the style instills an attitude of=
 contempt or disregard for the mainstream acceptance of proper attire and=
 conduct.  I find it quite interesting that we are supposed to instill in=
 our students an attitude of intellectual curiosity and ambition ... as well=
 as many character traits which should cause our society as a whole to grow=
 and prosper ... yet many parents might feel it unnecessary for us to become=
 fashion police patroling every hall. . .
Personally, I think our society has become one rich in a non-inteference and=
 non-judgmental attitude - much to our chagrin.  Students have no fear of=
 doing what they will at every turn because they know that teachers and=
 administrators can't do much but send them home (they don't want to be in=
 school in the first place) to parents who have too many irons in the fires=
 themselves to deal with growing pains of a borderline uncontrollable=
 individual as well. . .  Interestingly enough, the phrase "It takes a whole=
 village to raise a child" has been bantered around in many educational=
 circles of late, yet we often are reluctant to correct personality traits=
 which we see as detrimental to the individual in the short term and society=
 in the long run...  We no longer live in a society where parents know what=
 their children have been doing all afternoon before the children get home. =
 I think we are moving toward the other extreme where children feel as=
 though no one is watching so they do outrageous things for the shock effect=
 and more basically to get attention. . .
Perhaps we are making too much of a simple passing fad - like goldfish=
 eating or telephone booth stuffing;  perhaps the kids who we think will end=
 up as a statistic under the heading of "dead before graduation" will find=
 themselves and become great poets and musicians in spite of what we think=
 now; perhaps they will see the light at the end of the tunnel and pull=
 their pants up in order to run to succeed; perhaps they will astound many=
 of us with how much they have actually been listening to in our efforts to=
 steer them through the many pitfalls they have yet to face and overcome ...=
 perhaps not.

I really didn't mean to take this topic to the "Dennis Miller Rant" level. .=
 .
Please forgive me. . .  I think I speak for many of us when I conclude that=
 one of our major concerns is that these students realize the real=
 importance of a first impression and that many of them aren't making a very=
 favorable one...
You never get a second chance to make a first impression and the clothes=
 make the man come to mind. . .
And with that said, I will close like Dennis Miller - I could be wrong.

Thanks for listening - reading. . .

Aloha...

Earl J. Moniz (emoniz@christcom.net OR emoniz@nccu.net)
Just doing what I can with what I have from where I am...

LM_NET Archive Home