Thanks for all your thoughtful and supportive replies to an outsider. I
have been lurking on your list since I posted this query, and you all make
me proud to be a librarian. I plan to continue to remain on your
list--there is a lot of useful and fun info from knowledgeable &
enthusiastic professionals. Mary Ellen
TARGET: PARENTS (WHO ARE LIBRARIANS) AS VOLUNTEERS

I am an M.L.S. librarian who works in a corporate library. I have no
education or experience in school media centers or even children's
literature. My own child started kindergarten in the public school system
this year (in a middle class neighborhood--the PTO pays the salaries of
the teachers' aides). In addition, I have recently started tutoring at my
employer's partner-in education school (an elementary school in an inner
city neighborhood of the same system). Both schools have "libraries," but
neither employs a librarian. Re-shelving, etc., is done by parent
volunteers (or partner-in-education volunteers). Principals of both
schools have just discovered I am a librarian. I am sure I will be asked
to help in these libraries, and, I would like to have a reply ready.

MY QUESTIONS:
1)  What should be the limits of my assistance? Strictly clerical work
like other parent volunteers? Setting up a computer catalog? Reading
aloud/storytime? Other?
2) Is it more ethical to volunteer in the poorer school?

This is a real dilemma for me. Normally, I am against providing volunteer
library services for free--it devalues all of our work and skills. Yet as
a parent at one school and a partner-in-education volunteer at another, I
want to be involved and to help. I understand the National PTA (& probably
other groups) do not feel parents should compensate for support for which
school districts, state & federal funds should be responsible--but I am
not sure where to draw the line.

Thanks,
Mary Ellen Fleury
New Orleans, LA
mefleury@gnofn.org
HIT:  There seems to be no right answer to this. I have categorized your
replies into: YES (i.e., do help out), NO (do not help out), and
NEUTRAL/THOUGHTFUL INPUT. An overview count would be: yes 22, no 8, and
neutral 6. Several people debated themselves and saw both sides of the
issue. There were some  recurring themes: to lobby for a library staffed
by a credentialled librarian; choose your own kids school while s/he is
young; do only the clerical work; do only professional work in order to
provide an example of what can be done. [I briefly added my personal
path/solution at the end of Part 4]

YES (SOME WITH QUALIFICATIONS)

Make yourself a list of 2 or 3 things that you would really be willing to
do, then when you are asked to do something not on your list, you could
truthfully reply that your own professional and family responsibilities
preclude that level of involvement; however, you might be able to handle
________(things from your list). In addition, volunteers usually work
under supervision of a school employee. School insurance may not support
you being in charge of a group of students, as you would have to be during
storytime. Teachers would take advantage of that time, especially in elem.
school where breaks for teachers & planning time are lacking.

Do 1 or 2 projects at each site, perhaps a fairy tale unit with your
child's class. Stress that your background is not in school libraries,
and, at every possible moment, remind principal/teachers how valuable a
REAL library staffed by credentialled librarians would be to the school.
Do not take on cataloging. The collection would still be a warehouse
(albeit a better organized one).

From a former elem. librarian who did volunteer at her child's middle
school library (under the supervision of the librarian) & ended up
changing her own employment to a jr/sr high library: Try volunteering, it
will be a learning experience & who knows what will happen!

From  a former public/special librarian who did volunteer at her
children's elem & middle school libraries (reading to the Ks, helping with
inventory) and who returned to school to get her learning resources
endorsement and is now LMS for K-4:  Enjoy the experience of volunteering,
not just of getting to know some other folks who care about books & kids,
but also the personal growth of learning about another aspect of our
diverse field. As an aside, she adds that the library is the place where
you find out all the good scoop about teachers and classes.

From a school librarian who took off 17 years to raise a family: I was
delighted to be able to share my special skills in my children's school.
They were given so much by so many people and, heaven knows, they weren't
being paid adequately for it. Put no limits on it--decide how much time
you have to give and go for it! You should absolutely go to your own
child's school. Children love having their parents volunteer. You will not
devalue anything--rather, you will receive more than you give.

                        -end of part 1 of 4-

LM_NET Archive Home