Date: Fri, 11 Apr 1997 15:27:47 -0500
NEUTRAL/THOUGHTFUL INPUT

From a librarian who aims to do volunteer work in unrelated activities,
like Meals-on-Wheels: Do whatever feels best to you, both in terms of what
level of expertise you choose to volunteer with and at which school you
prefer to volunteer

Do what seems ethical to you. There will be conditions that you cannot
foresee that will make the decision for you: a wonderful principal,
thankless parents, the gratitude of the children... . Follow your "gut"
and do what you want in your child's school for your child not the
profession and in the economically challenged school for the difference
your belief in a library can make in the lives of children who will share
adulthood with your child.

Follow your heart. Do what you think is best for the children and the
teaching staff(s). Sure, you have some limitations in curriculum
development & teacher support but your common sense will take you very far
in both these situations.

If these principals are smart enough to realize they want your
professional services (even as a volunteer), they should be smart enough
to realize they are cheating the kids out of the opportunities that a
professional librarian can give them. Do they know doctors and lawyers or
other professionals who are volunteering their services? Is your company
looking for someone to volunteer for your job? I really see this as the
same thing & if we don't speak up and put a stop to it, we will end up
with volunteers running libraries. So what can you do? Along with
volunteering, insist that these schools consider the hiring of an MLS.

1st thing is to ask yourself if you think the district would replace you
with a professional if you did not volunteer? Are the children better off
if you do what you are doing? Do you enjoy it? Is there anything you can
do to convince the principals that the libraries need more financial
support? Are other parents aware of the needs of the school libraries?
However, giving of yourself & your skills is not something anyone should
criticize you for doing. It is wonderful that the schools have people who
are willing to do this.

If you volunteer much of your professional skills you take up the school
district slack and allow them to continue to get away with not hiring the
professional librarian each of their schools and students deserve. Here is
a 2-pronged approach: Volunteer on a limited basis in the of the schools
(your child's?) and ALSO work on a school district level to change their
standards for staffing school libraries.

PERSONAL PATH/SOLUTION
As an aside, for the remainder of the year I have decided to continue as I
am: tutoring two 2nd graders at the partner school and serving on the
Health Committee at my childs school (translation: the cooties & potties
committee). After reviewing your thoughtful, supportive input I am
planning not to perform the daily maintenance activities, but rather-- At
the partner school, perhaps start a read-aloud program to involve more
company volunteers, especially those who cannot make the week-after-week
commitment. At my childs school, perhaps organize some storyteller and
author visits (maybe these could be booked at both schools). At both
schools, find out why they do not employ credentialled librarians and go
from there to LMC advocacy. Probably way too ambitious, but... .  Again,
thanks.

                                -end of part 4 of 4-
ay to have a professional, that
there is no reason to have an MLA--anyone can do it. Every day we (school
librarians) must prove our value. The administration wants something for
nothing, and that is what you would give them. [If you must do it, give to
your own child]

From a high school librarian who recently moved to a new state where her
children are now in an elem school which employs a library aide instead of
a librarian: I have purposely volunteered for other committees. I truly do
not think the school district should receive professional services for
free, and I think that it would be very difficult to keep from at least
expressing my opinion on issues other than clerical tasks. And, I do not
think my suggestions would be well-received since the district is quite
satisfied with their elementary book closets.

Initial thought: once you start to give of yourself, they will take
everything you have got. But you know the situation better than anyone.
Just do not let them abuse your willingness to help. I believe there is a
fine line between use and abuse.

From a (public?) high school librarian: My kids go to a Catholic school
where parent volunteers are the only thing that keep the school library
running. Recently, the school received such high academic achievement
scores that they felt the need for a library program was unnecessary.
Needless to say, I felt that my services would not be appreciated no
matter how much time I put in. I am kind of glad because I practically
work myself to death here in my own library.

                                -end of part 3 of 4-

LM_NET Archive Home