Thanks again for your responses!  Jody
What follows are your comments, positive and negative, on the Christian
Science Monitor:

        The Christian Science Monitor is an excellent daily newspaper, which also
has a web site so you can preview it online.  It was true at one time that
all of the staff were Christian Scientists, I'm not sure if that is still
true.  Nevertheless, it covers national and international news.  It is
located in Boston, Massachusetts but gives no special coverage to Boston.
        There is one small religious commentary, which as a Catholic I have never
found offensive.  Take a look at the online version the religious article is
 there.
I have in the past subscribed to it for a junior senior high.  I may add it
to our list this year.  The basic url is        http://www.csmonitor.com

        We dropped the Christian Science Monitor several years ago.  The
articles were of excellent, but our students steered clear of it because of
the work "Christian" in the title (plus we didn't have adequate storage for
any but local newspapers).

 Also the Christian Science Monitor is
essential to my school.  It is our best source of international
news...and my government teacher makes specific assignments that require
its use.

        About the Christian Science Monitor--it is a quality
newspaper, with
careful reports about world and national issues.  It does have a
viewpoint, of course, expressed in editorials, but I have never found
it to be expressed in the way the news is reported.  (Of course, I
don't read all of it.)  It is not a large paper, and I must admit,
not much read in my library, but I find some of the articles to be
worth saving for the vertical file.  In general, I think highly of
this paper.

        Christian Science Monitor has just about the best in depth
feature stories
on topical issues published anywhere.  Its major failing is that it is not
indexed anywhere that I know of.  It may be worth indexing yourself, for
that matter. I'm considering doing so when I subscribe (my predecesor here
cut it several years back.)

        I can tell you that Christian Science Monitor has alot of
good information in
it.  However, it is seldom used by any of my staff or students.  I end up
cutting out articles and putting them in the vertical file.

        I can't imagine doing without the Monitor, but it's a pricey index
and, as far as I've been able to ascertain, only available in a print
format.  Nonetheless, our global studies and environmental science
researchers use it heavily.  We keep four years of back issues.

LM_NET Archive Home