Hi!  I'm looking for ideas for a challenging idea for 11th advanced
literature students.  The students have each selected a Pulitzer Prize
novel.  Now--the instructor is looking for a "challenging, college level"
assignment for them.  I have told her several times and I think she is
convinced that they first have to fully utilize what we have in our
library, using advanced search techniques.  Part of the problem here is
just what we all have discussed here.  She isn't familiar with what we
have here and doesn't know how to use it.  We are contacting local, close
by community colleges and 4-year universities to arrange for our students
to use their facilities.  I plan to first visit so I can prepare the
students for what they will find there in terms of indexes, etc.
But...the assignment, the task!!  I don't want to students to simply
regurgitate what they find in terms of theme, critical analysis, etc.,
but instead create or put what they learn into a new or unique product.
I have one idea:   Students will act as the writer's publisher or editor
and work to prepare pre-pub information about the writer and the novel.
This brochure, announcement, whatever has as it's goal to make this
author known to the public and make it a best seller.  So, the student
would have to include information to grab the reader's interest and make
us want to read it.  Might include biographical information, summary,
character analysis, criticism, etc.  Could be print or other.  Could be
written or presentation.  What do you think?  Any other ideas?  Thanks!
Barb  (I'm doing this quickly before heading out in the snow???? to
school, so I haven't proofread.  Please excuse.)

Barb Stover                           Voice:  303-982-3650
Chatfield Senior High School          Voice:  303-982-3670
7227 South Simms St.                  Fax:    303-982-3672
Littleton, CO 80127
bstover@jeffco.k12.co.us

LM_NET Archive Home