Hi!  I deleted the original note, but then got curious about the
question of where the term "Boolean" came from, so I went and
found the answer:

    Boole, George (1815-1864), was a British mathematician who,
    by being the first to employ symbolic language and notation
    for purely logical processes, founded the modern science of
    mathematical logic.

    Abbott, David, ed. _Mathematicians_. New York: Peter Bedrick
        Books, 1986. p. 21.

Hope this was helpful!  I feel better now! (There's a lot more about
him in the article--biographical stuff, if you want it, please e-mail
me privately)

Patricia Long
Librarian, Lincoln Middle & HIgh Schools
Lincoln, Rhode Island
pllinhs@uriacc.uri.edu

LM_NET Archive Home