Thanks to all of you who suggested stories that would be fun to read during
a canoe trip as part of Fish, Game and Wildlife's "Becoming an Outdoor
Woman" workshop-- and all of you who wrote just to say "have fun".  Here are
the titles you suggested:

Two Old Women:  An Alaska legend of betrayal, courage and survival.
by Velma Wallis (HarperPerennial, 1994 ISBN 0-06-097584-9)
Pilgrim at Tinker Creek, and others by Annie Dillard
I Don't Know Why I Swallowed the Fly by Jessica Maxwell (about fly fishing)
Jump Off Creek by Molly Gloss
Miles from Nowhere by Barbara Savage
Sisters of the Earth (unsure of author-- look in women's section of bookstore)
Bold in Her Breeches - Women Pirates Across the Ages by Jo Stanley.
High Tide in Tuscon by Barbara Kingsolver (Short stories, some about her
adventures)
Down the Colorado (John Wesley Powell's journal of the first run down the
Grand Canyon-- not "woman centered", but great camp reading)
Pioneer Women (journal excerpts from women who made the early migration to
Kansas and inspired the Kansas state motto: "ad astra, per astrum" (through
the wilderness, to the stars))
Traveler's Tales (collection of short travel stories)
A Woman's World (travel stories)
A Woman's Place is on Top (first woman's expedition to climb Annapurna) by
Arlene Blum
Women's Diaries of the Westward Journey

Some young adult women adventure stories are:
Living Dangerously: American Women Who Risked Their Lives for adventure by
Doreen Rappaport (Harper, 1981 ISBN:0060251085)
No Way Out by Ivy Ruckman
The Island Keeper by Norma Fox Mazer
Long Live the Queen by Ellen Emerson White
Cold River by William Judson
Any of Laura Ingalls Wilder's books.
Courage of Sarah Noble by Dalgliesh (level 3-4)
Caddie Woodlawn by Carol Brink
Bound for Oregon by Jean Van Leeuwen
Where the Broken Heart Still Beats by Carolyn Meyer (about Cynthia Anne
Parker, mother of Quannah Parker)
True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle by Avi
Julie of the Wolves
Girl of the Limberlost by Gene Stratton Porter

Amelia Earhart
Biography on Laura Ingalls Wilder

Paddle to the Sea (a Caldecott Book)

Hope I didn't miss any!  I added these additional titles to the list.  These
are books I found in The Boundary Waters Catalog from Minnesota:
Season of Adventure: Off the Beaten Track with Women Over Fifty by Jean Gould
Solo: On her own adventure edited by Susan Fox Rogers (23 stories of women's
solo adventures)
Women in Wilderness by Susan And Ann Zwinger
There are Mountains to Climb: An Inspirational Journey by Jean Deeds
Messengers of the Wind edited by Jane Katz
Solar Storms by Linda Hogan
     I haven't actually seen these books, but they sounded good!  I expect
to spend a fun evening at Barnes and Noble one of these nights looking for
all your suggestions!

     Thanks again for all your help!

Here's the original request for anyone who's wondering what the heck this is
all about:
> Here's kind of an odd request.  In a few weeks, a friend of mine and I are
> leading a canoe trip as part of a "Becoming an Outdoor Woman" weekend at an
> environmental center in New Jersey.  During the weekend, women will be able
> to attend workshops on all sorts of outdoor activities-- fly fishing,
> birdwatching, backpacking, kayaking, orienteering, outdoor survival, etc.
> We are supposed to be trying to tie in as many experiences during this
> canoe trip as we can-- we're taking along a naturalist from the park
> service and will do some bird watching, interpretation, we'll talk about
> the history of the area (which would have been inundated by the Tocks
> Island Dam project), maybe do some fishing, as well as teaching canoeing
> strokes.  As a librarian, I thought it might be fun to read some
> appropriate short stories along the way.  Either just one short story that
> I could read a little bit of during short breaks, or maybe several short
> passages from books that would tie in well.  I haven't quite been able to
> find what I'm looking for.  Anything come to mind for anyone?  It would
> have to involve a woman character or characters and could be something on
> nature appreciation, an outdoor adventure or survival story, maybe even a
> woman's journal from the Oregon Trail or something like that.  Could be
> from children's or adult literature, or even poetry, as long as the theme
> is right-- something that reflects a spirit of adventure!  Even if I don't
> get to read much along the way, it would be fun to give participants a
> bibliography that they could read on their own.  Any ideas?

LM_NET Archive Home