From: Diane Cotten <dcotten@gte.net>
How about students getting tickets to either slime the teacher?
The teachers at my son's school have bottowed the dunk tank from a
local business for school fund raisers. The line is always long. How
about students getting balls to throw for a certain number of points?
His principal has done many things to award students for reading so
many minutes per day. These could be used if the school reaches goal
points. She did things such as singing  Achey Breaky Heart from the
roof.  She also had parachuters one year. (Someone's husband was big
in the National Guard. Another year someone arranged for her to go up
(not too high) in an air balloon. Another principal in the area set a
goal and arranged to kiss a pig if the students reached it. Another
principal allowed students to throw pies in her face. I think any of
these crazy ideas could work with points for accelerated reader.
From: Donna S Cook <dsc@tenet.edu>
One that works great is letting kids choose a favorite book you already
have in the collection, then you make a dedication plaque to go on the
flyleaf that says "This book is dedicated to So-and-So because (s)he read
X number of books in 19__."  The kids love it.  It is really nice in a
new book that they get to check out first.  Make a little ceremony in the
classroom.  You can buy plaques or make them with Print Shop Delux.
    Make a Hall of Fame in the hall (of course).  Make a banner and then
let kids make a Print Shop Sign telling what their favorite book is.
Cover with laminate and hang in the hall.  More expensive, but nice
touch, hang their picture by the sign when they read more books.
     Coupon to be first in line.
From: JECS57@aol.com
Use Print Shop or some other graphics program and print up coupons (I use the
business card project) for lunch and a video in the library with a friend, or
lunch ourside (we have picnic tables) with a friend.  Of course she would
have to supervise the lunch time but the kids will use their points for this.
Pat Pickard, Coordinator            Phone: (404) 325-3011  Ex.236
Dept. of Educational Media          FAX:   (404) 728-1977
DeKalb County Schools
2415-C N. Druid Hills Road, N.E.    E-mail:
Atlanta, Georgia  30329-3210         pickardp@dekalb.k12.ga.us

 To quit LM_NET (or set NOMAIL or DIGEST), Send an email message to:
 listserv@listserv.syr.edu          In the message write either:
 1)  SIGNOFF LM_NET         or
 2)  SET LM_NET NOMAIL      or
 3)  SET LM_NET DIGEST