From: Jacqueline Hornsby <hornsbyj@mindspring.com>
Why not dedicate a library book to top readers.  Produce a bookplate and let
the student select the title.
This past year we offered a 15 minute media center break to students.
Schedule a special storytime with members of a selected point club.
One year I offered a backstage tour of the theatre on the campus of LaGrange
College.  The students loved it -- we did the catwalk and visited the sound
and light *nerve center*, the costume shop, the green room, etc.  This was a
freebie because the theatre is directly across the street from our school.
From: CharlynT@aol.com
Some schools locally use special privileges or honors:  principal for a day,
librarian for a day, an hour's time in the library, first chance at a new
book, sitting at a special table in the cafeteria/lunchroom to lunch with the
principal/librarian/visiting storyteller/etc.
Perhaps there is a library club or group of students that the librarian would
consider polling for their ideas of what would be a reward?  Spending an
afternoon in a corner of the library with a book sitting in a beanbag chair
may be it!
From: MICHELE BATES <micheleb@emeraldis.com>
I came up with an idea last year that has worked very well and is free.  I
made passes for the students to choose from for Accelerated Reader prizes.
One is for the student to come in and use the computers when no other
classes are in the library for 30 minutes.  Another is for the student to
come in and be a library helper for 30 minutes to an hour.  I, also, have
one for a student to come in and read to a younger group of students.  The
first two have been very popular, especially the computer pass.  The reading
pass hasn't caught on yet.  They usually choose the passes over the other
prizes I have, such as pencils, bookmarks, coloring books, etc.  These items
I purchased with points the library earned through our book fairs, so they
really didn't cost me anything either.
A helpful hint - I printed the passes on the computer and laminated them.
The students return them when they come in for their special library time.
This keeps me from having to make them over and over again.
From: Monica Tolva <tolva@ahsd25.n-cook.k12.il.us>
At our school students love to help out in the kindergarten classes.
This opportunity works as an incentive for some.
From: Bonnie LaClave <blaclav@in-motion.net>
I tried some ideas like that myself last spring as I was "testing" AR with
the 5th and 6th graders.  I will be starting it with the whole school this
fall, and will probably do a "store" each 6 weeks or so.  I don't really
like giving out "prizes" for reading, but I was getting desperate with the
older kids who simply won't check out a book for any reason!  I offered
incentives like reading to a kindergarten or first grade class, being the
principal's assistant for a day (or half day), being my assistant for a few
hours, being another teacher's assistant for a few hours, eating lunch with
me (or any other staff person in the building), etc.  I just made these up
on little cards and put a point value on them and put them out with the
other items that I had available.  They seemed to be fairly popular.
From: Joanne Ladewig <shatz@lightside.com>
The PTA organized a "Carnival Day" for the participants in our reading
program. Kids got game tickets depending on the time spent reading (adapt to
your needs)- They ran the carnival the last Friday of school (week before
school got out) during class time - a real incentive for kids. Each grade
level group had their own time slot (k & 1 & 2; 3 & 4; 5 & 6) and the kids
with the most tickets got released first ( if the time allottment is 1 hour,
then kids w/ most tickets get full time, then kids with fewer, released 15
minutes later, kids w/ least, last 1/2 hour). It went pretty well except
that the weather (odd for California!) decide a deluge was in order - so
games moved into the cafeteria & hallways.

Pat Pickard, Coordinator            Phone: (404) 325-3011  Ex.236
Dept. of Educational Media          FAX:   (404) 728-1977
DeKalb County Schools
2415-C N. Druid Hills Road, N.E.    E-mail:
Atlanta, Georgia  30329-3210         pickardp@dekalb.k12.ga.us

 To quit LM_NET (or set NOMAIL or DIGEST), Send an email message to:
 listserv@listserv.syr.edu          In the message write either:
 1)  SIGNOFF LM_NET         or
 2)  SET LM_NET NOMAIL      or
 3)  SET LM_NET DIGEST