Hi, all -

Several people requested the info. I received on big book and study print
storage so I've edited the replies from several of you.  A hit on this
topic last year contained suggestions for using racks of some sort -
either commercial or homemade. Interestingly, this year most of the
replies said those racks aren't all that great and many had some really
innovative suggestions.  Thanks to everyone who answered - now I just
need to figure out the best way to go. Because this is long I will sent it
in several parts.

Here are the "rack alternatives" -

 A cart on wheels that has slots  (either vertical or
horizontal)  I choose horizontal because then the big books lie flat and
don't fold etc...they have worked very well...the investment is well worth
it because I don't have to keep replacing the bags and the books hold up
longer.  I believe I found them in one of the library catalogs such as
Gaylord, Demco or the other that I can't recall at the moment.  Ours were
custom made because we were ordering other furniture at the time but I did
see them in one of the other catalogs.

One day while walking through a discount store I saw  plastic
bathroom hampers.  Big books fit in them perfectly!!  I buy the $15
dollar kind like at WalMart or Target.  I take off the lid and throw it
away.  You can get almost any color to match your library.

re study prints-- we bought a metal "filing" cabinet usually
used by architects and graphic design firms to hold our posters and study
prints - you might check with those types of suppliers.  Eventually,
because of the cost of buying an additional large cabinet, I had our
district carpenters build wooden storage shelves using the
measurements from the cabinet, with slide out shelves so we could
find those items that somehow always found their way to the very back
of the shelf!

Sandy Stephens        Maclary Elementary School
Librarian             300 St. Regis Drive
stepsan@udel.edu      Newark, DE 19711

 To quit LM_NET (or set NOMAIL or DIGEST), Send an email message to:
 listserv@listserv.syr.edu          In the message write either:
 1)  SIGNOFF LM_NET         or
 2)  SET LM_NET NOMAIL      or
 3)  SET LM_NET DIGEST