Here's the second part of the Big Book Storage HIT

I have a Big Book (BB) section and a Big Book Kit (BBK)
section.  Counting both of these I probably have about 50+ items.
How I organized mine was to take a low bookcase I found in the
warehouse at our Central Office.  It wasn't a "great" bookcase I
would have wanted to put regular books on, but it ended up working
out pretty good for the BB and BBK purpose.  I turned it up on one
end longways.  What had been the center support of the bookcase then
became a divider between the the top section which are BB's and the
lower section which are BBK's.  They are in hanging bags.  I went to
a hardware store and found two steel rods that would fit across the
book case and were just the right thickness to catch the clips on the
hanging bags.  I drilled a hole on each side in the top section and
the same in the bottom section after measuring to see how high I need
the holes drilled for the tallest BB's and BBK's I had.  I do not have
them separ
ated on the shelf by author, title, etc. The BBK's, since they included a
BB, sev
eral smaller books, a cassette, etc. I had to process them a little
differently.
 I took
some colored posterboard and cut them into lengths about 7" high, 4-
5" wide.  I place one barcode horizontally at the top on one side and
the same on the other.  Then I write the contents on both sides.
When I am checking in and out I can see the card through the clear
bag and scan it without taking it out.  I can usually check items
without taking anything out of the bag.

I used my poster cabinet with large low drawers.  I also took the
cardboard table
top easels that came with many of them and put them on top of my tall
shelves aga
inst the walls.  That way, they were stored and displayed at the same
time.  It i
ncreased their
circulation since when teachers saw them, they asked for them.

 We use a specially made book shelf for our big books. It stands about
four feet high and has two shelves and is divided by a support that is
half
way through the shelf. We had it specially made because we could not find
anything that really worked.

Right now I have a cart on wheels with an easel on it that is
wooden, This is available as I have seen it in some catalogs, and great
for
story time in the library. I have about 60 big books stored in the back
sith divisions as they are standing up and this way they do not get warped
or bent. We also have some flat storage almost like map cases that we can
slide some into that keep them flat but it is a problem to look at them
then.

Have you seen the JanWay Big Book Bag and rack for Big Book storage.  It
is
a new product which is very attractive and durable.  It is pictured on the
back page of the JanWay catalog along with the JanWay Hanging Media Pouch
for other media storage. Here is the information for contacting JanWay -
JanWay Company
11 Academy Road
Cogan Station, PA  17728

800-877-5242
fax 717-494-1350
janway@janway.com

Sandy Stephens        Maclary Elementary School
Librarian             300 St. Regis Drive
stepsan@udel.edu      Newark, DE 19711

 To quit LM_NET (or set NOMAIL or DIGEST), Send an email message to:
 listserv@listserv.syr.edu          In the message write either:
 1)  SIGNOFF LM_NET         or
 2)  SET LM_NET NOMAIL      or
 3)  SET LM_NET DIGEST