Dear Friends,

I just read the hit about big book storage hoping it would give me some ideas
for my own situation.  Since most of the suggestions and the topic itself
seemed foreign, I guess big books aren't the same as tall books or oversized
books.  (Are big books something special at the elementary level?  I'm in a
high school.)

What I need are suggestions about shelving oversized books, like some of the
art books, when shelf height is not adjustable enough.  Up till now, my
shelves were infinitely adjustable (metal with no top) and I was able to
shelve all books as they should be.  My new room has shelving with tops and
because of the limited number of shelves, I can't eliminate any by putting
too much space between shelves.  I know that some libraries put the tall
books in with all the rest but spine up so they fit heightwise, but then they
stick out in the aisles and my aisles are not that wide.  Other libraries
have special sections for tall books only, but then how do you make students
aware of these books when the Dewey number says they should be in the 750s
and the books aren't there.  Perhaps there are some ideas or procedures I'm
not aware of that you folks can help me with.

Moving to a new room can be exciting and exasperating and sometimes downright
scary.  The carpet is down, the shelves are being installed, and I'm getting
butterflies thinking of unpacking all those boxes and putting everything away
IN THE RIGHT PLACE so I don't have to do it twice.

If you have any ideas about those oversized beasties, I would appreciate
anything you wish to share.

TIA and enjoy the rest of your summer.

Marian Mackey, Librarian             Knowledge is of two kinds:
Perkiomen Valley High School      we know a subject ourselves, or
509 Gravel Pike                            we know where we can find
Graterford, PA  19426                   information upon it. - S. Johnson
email: mkmackey@aol.com

 To quit LM_NET (or set NOMAIL or DIGEST), Send an email message to:
 listserv@listserv.syr.edu          In the message write either:
 1)  SIGNOFF LM_NET         or
 2)  SET LM_NET NOMAIL      or
 3)  SET LM_NET DIGEST