>... Our associate superintendent wishes to raise students'
>test grades, especially in reading... .

        The following may seem like a stupid question.  I assure you it is not.

        Why?

        Why does the associate superintendent wish to raise students' test
grades?
        Is it in order to benefit the kids?
        If so, is this individual prepared to PROVE this contention,
detailing specifically HOW it will benefit the kids, as is only reasonable,
and professionally obligatory that he/she do, BEFORE injecting/inflicting
this new treatment.  As with the introduction of steroids into athletes'
bodies, or silicone into other boobs, will he/she also have examined how it
may instead HARM the kids, if/when not done with due consideration?
        Else, why not just doctor their test scores and be done with the
whole affair?  The results will be just as reasonable, which is to say not
(verifiably) reasonable at all.
        But we knew that already, didn't we?
        (Bring in the airbags, eh?)
        I can't help wondering how many more kids we will damage or
destroy--and/or send to the back of the bus--before we finally get this
lesson right for ourselves.
        Please, can we help this individual realize his/her inherent duties
and obligations--and strengths?  If Reason shows test scores should rise,
let us then beckon all parties--with Reason.  For, why should any among us
who is rational, object when beckoned through Reason?
        If analysis shows the only "reason" we seek to raise test scores is
to raise test scores, we would be better served to raise cabbages!  If
Reason offers no validity to compelling a rise in test scores, let us know
to trust Reason and give up the notion.
        If, however, our "leaders" insist that we follow a course without
benefit of Reason, we need simply decline (or face our own chosen
consequences).
        For let us baldly acknowledge that any "leader's" proclaimed lack
of faith in us or our progeny is not simply wearying.  It is, in fact,
unacceptably contradictory from any who would presume to have and to retain
the authority to lead and to represent the best interests of ourselves and
our kids.  A lack of faith in those one has been empowered to lead, or
represent, reflects a glaring lack of faith in one's own ability to teach
or to lead.
        Such can never be compatible with success.
        Thus, what rational individuals would EVER elect to place or to
sustain exaggerated boobs in power and authority over themselves or their
kids, rather than trust their natural selves to truly stay abreast with
reality?

        Hey, trust Reason, and have fun!  You have it within you, you know.
        Take care.

*****

        The "leader" who elects to thwart the honest efforts of the
"follower," who is endeavoring to freely offer help, is as the misguided
police officer who detains, tickets and/or arrests the firefighter for
running a red light on the way to battle a fire at the police station.
        Nor does it give the fire fighting professional solace to watch the
place burn.
        Abuse of one's proffered power and authority is abuse of
oneself--and one's station.

Jeffrey E. Kirkpatrick
Profession: teacher/learner
Present occupation: records manager (in Denver, CO)
e-mail address: jeffkirk@sni.net

 To quit LM_NET (or set NOMAIL or DIGEST), Send an email message to:
 listserv@listserv.syr.edu          In the message write either:
 1)  SIGNOFF LM_NET         or
 2)  SET LM_NET NOMAIL      or
 3)  SET LM_NET DIGEST