From: sandor weisz <ferris@merle.acns.nwu.edu>
From: "rebecca l. eisenberg" <mars@bossanova.com>
Subject: yet another fraud
>From: Neil Rest <NeilRest@tezcat.com>
>Subject: hoax retraction  [BURNED!!]
>
>>A fast note to let you know the Vonnegut commencement address is a
>>phony.
>>A good phony, but a phony.  And it's getting sprayed all across the
>>net.
>>
>>Yes, I'm positive.
>>
>>Bob Weide, Vonnegut's friend and the author & co-producer of the
>>movie
>>rendition of "Mother Night", wrote:
>
>>:Yesterday I confirmed for the Vonnegut Newsgroup that the MIT
>>address
>>:attributed to Kurt, and spread all over the Web, was a hoax. It
>>was not
>>:written nor delivered by Kurt at MIT or anywhere. Copies of this
>>thing were
>>:E-mailed to me from all corners -- even received one from Scotland.
>>:
>>:Well, it seems as though my response spread through the Internet
>>almost as
>>:thoroughly as the speech itself. Today (8/1), my E-mailbox was
>>full of
>>:letters from strangers, responding to my post. In any event, I can
>>now
>>:clear up part of this mystery:
>>:
>>:There is a columnist for the Chicago Tribune named Mary Schmich.
>>The words
>>:were hers, in her column from the June 1 issue of the Trib. She
>>never
>>:passed it off as Vonnegut s, nor was his name ever evoked in the
>>column. In
>>:fact, her column contained a prologue, missing on the Internet
>>version,
>>:which I will reprint here...
>>:
>>:*********************************************************************
>>*******
>>:
>>:ADVICE, LIKE YOUTH, PROBABLY JUST WASTED ON THE YOUNG
>>:
>>:"Inside every adult lurks a graduation speaker dying to get out,
>>some
>>:world-weary pundit eager to pontificate on life to young people
>>who'd
>>:rather be Rollerblading. Most of us, alas, will never be invited
>>to sow
>>:our words of wisdom among an audience of caps and gowns, but
>>there's no
>>:reason we can't entertain ourselves by composing a Guide to Life for
>>:Graduates.
>>:
>>:"I encourage anyone over 26 to try this and thank you for
>>indulging my
>>:attempt.
>>:
>>:"Ladies and gentlemen of the Class of 97..."
>>:
>>:*********************************************************************
>>*****
>>:
> [...]

Pat Bartoshesky            Saint Edmond's Academy (Gr.4-8, boys only)
Librarian                  2120 Veale Rd.  Wilmington DE 19810-4199
<pbarto@udel.edu>          VOICE: 302-4765-5370  FAX: 302-475-2256

 To quit LM_NET (or set NOMAIL or DIGEST), Send an email message to:
 listserv@listserv.syr.edu          In the message write either:
 1)  SIGNOFF LM_NET         or
 2)  SET LM_NET NOMAIL      or
 3)  SET LM_NET DIGEST