Recently I asked about the types of things one teaches in a K-8 computer lab
at the varous levels, since I found out that I will be both the librarian and
computer lab teacher!   Here are the responses I received.  Many websites
were recommended, and all are great.  Take a look at them!!!   If any more
ideas come in I will be happy to post again.  I'd especially appreciate ideas
for grades 6-8!  Thanks to everyone that responded!!  :-)

Tracey Donaldson, LMS
Genesee Valley Elementary/Middle School
Angelica, NY
LadyLibrar@aol.com
*******************************
*******************************
You might have a look at my recently rewritten curriculum for K-6 at:
http://www.wcsu.k12.vt.us/~wardsboro/skills.htm
Also, at:
http://www.wcsu.k12.vt.us/~wardsboro/mpl.htm#Instruction
You might find other links of interest. Try the first on in particular.
-------------------------
You might want to look at TECHWORKS, published by Teacher Created
Materials at http://www.teachercreated.com
--------------------------
Take a look at:
http://www.cccnet.com/
k-12 curriculum and lesson planning for teachers
--------------------------
Try this - it's part of the Big6 site:
http://ericir.syr.edu/ithome/digests/computerskills.html
--------------------------
Starting at grade 3, I would teach keyboarding and aim to have them
proficient by 5th grade.  It does no good to introduce them to word
processing, Internet etc. if they can't type their own stuff.   Of course,
just by having them use different programs, they will pick up a lot that
will transfer to other programs.
I think they should all learn how to use a library automation system.
--------------------------
Here is a site that may help...it's not always up, so give it a few
tries.

http://www.dpi.state.nc.us/Curriculum/Computer.skills/lssnplns/CompCurr.LP.htm
--------------------------
I have found several excellent "scope and sequence"
statements from different school districts around the country on the
internet.  I gave my printed copies to my computer teacher so I don't have
the exact address; however, type in Technology Scope and Sequence into
your internet search engine (I used Webcrawler) and you will have several
to choose from.  Hope this helps!
--------------------------
I *highly* encourage you to take your lessons from the students'
classroom curriculum. This is the best way for technology lessons to
make sense nad matter to students. Computer activities in isolation do
not treat technology as what it is -- just another tool for learning,
rather than an end in itself.

That said, there are some basics you'll need to cover. For primary
students, help them understand the *idea* of a computer, as a desk with
programs in it and a disk and folder to store work. Intermediate
students should work on keyboarding (we start at 4th grade, using All
the Right Type by Didacom) and some long-term projects that use
technology to make a product of their learning. For example, use KidPix
or HyperStudio to make a presentation of what they've learned about
historical period, region of the US, etc.

All students must be taught the proper use and care of computers; how to
start up programs; how to save to a disk; how to end programs, etc.

Integrate the curriculum!! Ask teachers to write down their major areas
of study for a month (or sit down with them and make a "curriculum map"
for the year). Ask them what tech skills they expect their students to
have (these could become your requirements for the previous grade) and
what tech skills they want their students to learn.

 To quit LM_NET (or set NOMAIL or DIGEST), Send an email message to:
 listserv@listserv.syr.edu          In the message write either:
 1)  SIGNOFF LM_NET         or
 2)  SET LM_NET NOMAIL      or
 3)  SET LM_NET DIGEST