Here are a few more entries, and thanks again to those who shared.

*I use strips of colored paper to stamp the date
due and stick it in the former book pocket.   I use paper
that needs to be recycled, for if it's lost, it's no big deal.  Many kids
use it as a bookmark, and that's ok too.  It's for their information, not
mine.  I didn't want to buy fancy date due paste in slips or anything else.
 The pockets are there, and it's convenient to have the call number and bar
code number on the pocket.

*We have yellow book marks with our school' name imprinted on them, in
the morning a volunteer stamps the due date on them and places in the book
pockets when checking out!  They also pull them from the pocket when the
book is returned and reuse and restamp under previous date due.

*I think parents can be effective allies in helping those books get to school
on time, although I know that the primary responsibility lies with the
student himself.  And we parents are used to flipping open a library book
left under a pile of other things on the dining room table and looking for
that date due stamp on the card in  the back of the book. Our town library
retains the date due card in the book pocket, while the city of Worcester
uses a grocery-store labeling device to fix a date due sticker somewhere on
the back of the book.  I personally find this last method annoying and
confusing since there are often a number of little stickers to study before
finding the latest date.  And whose job is it to peel these off?  Seems to me
your trading one little task for another.  Book pockets are neat.  I like the
thin colored "cards" that the public library inserts into the book pockets.
 No problem.  Very clear.

There were many fine contributions, and lots to consider.

Sharon Blumenstein, Emek Hebrew Academy Library, Sherman Oaks, CA
>>shablu@aol.com<<<

 To quit LM_NET (or set NOMAIL or DIGEST), Send an email message to:
 listserv@listserv.syr.edu          In the message write either:
 1)  SIGNOFF LM_NET         or
 2)  SET LM_NET NOMAIL      or
 3)  SET LM_NET DIGEST