Susan Mackey wrote:

> My library clerks are using their PTA and various other funds to purchase
> home-use videos at discount stores for their site libraries.  I don't want
> to be responsible for these tapes, so I am considering refusing to process
> them at central processing.  If district library services processes and
> sends these tapes back to the sites, doesn't this imply that I selected
> them or at least approved their selection?
>
> We have a nice video library that is curriculum based at Library Services,
> but the temptation is hard to resist for my paras.  HELP!

You don't need to be worried about the Home Use Only tag on the videos.
Basically all this means is that you have not purchased public
performance rights with the videos. If you are using the videos in the
classroom, directly related to the curriculum and the lesson at hand,
you don't need public performance rights. You may rely on the fair use
exemption to the normal copyright restrictions. The only thing that is
significant is that the videos are legally acquired, and apparently they
are. Relax, and enjoy having good shoppers on staff. (But remember that
the videos they may be buying aren't the type that fit tightly with
curriculum. In that case, whether they are cheap or expensive, you can't
use them in schools unless you pay public performance rights.)

Carol Simpson
Mesquite ISD
csimpson@tenet.edu

 To quit LM_NET (or set NOMAIL or DIGEST), Send an email message to:
 listserv@listserv.syr.edu          In the message write either:
 1)  SIGNOFF LM_NET         or
 2)  SET LM_NET NOMAIL      or
 3)  SET LM_NET DIGEST