This message was forwarded to me by a friend just this afternoon.
Hopefully, it is not a hoax.  It is however, something worth checking out.

Janet Rogan Gudzinas
jkrg1@enter.net
----------
> > Subject: Warning, New viruses!
> > Date: Friday, August 29, 1997 8:49 AM
> >

> >      >FYI, everybody
> >      >
> >       I received this at work this morning.
> >      > -------------------------------------------------------
> >      >
> >      >There are several new viruses being sent via e-mail entitled: >
> >      >        "JOIN THE CREW"
> >      >         PENPAL GREETINGS
> >      >        "Returned or Unable to Deliver" >
> >      >This information was received this morning from IBM, please share
> it
> >      >with
> >      >anyone that might access the Internet. >
> >      >WARNING!!!!!! If you receive an e-mail titled "JOIN THE CREW" DO
> NOT
> >      >open
> >      >it!      It will erase EVERYTHING on your hard drive! Send this
> >      letter
> >      >out to
> >      >as
> >      >many people you can.......this is a new virus and not many people

> >      know
> >      >about it!
> >      >        If anyone receives mail entitled; PENPAL GREETINGS!
please
> >      >delete it
> >      >WITHOUT reading it!!  This is a warning for all Internet users -
> >      there
> >      >is a
> >      >dangerous virus propagating across the Internet through an e-mail

> >      >message
> >      >entitled "PENPAL GREETINGS!".
> >      >
> >      >DO NOT DOWNLOAD ANY MESSAGE ENTITLED "PENPAL GREETINGS"!!
> >      >        This message appears to be a friendly letter asking you
if
> >      you
> >      >are
> >      >interested in a penpal, but by the time you read this letter, it
is

> >      too >late. The trojan horse  virus will have already infected the
> boot
> >      sector
> >      >of
> >      >your hard drive, destroying all of the data present.  It is a
> >      >self-replicating virus, and once the message is read, it will
> >      >AUTOMATICALLY
> >      >forward itself to anyone who's e-mail address is present in YOUR
> >      >mailbox!
> >      >        This virus will DESTROY your hard drive, and holds the
> >      potential
> >      >to DESTROY
> >      >the hard drive of anyone whose mail is in your in-box, and whose
> mail
> >      is
> >      >in
> >      > their in box and so on.  If this virus keeps getting passed, it
> has
> >      the >potential to do a great deal of DAMAGE to computer networks
> >      >worldwide!!!!
> >      >        Please, delete the message entitled "PENPAL GREETINGS!"
as
> >      >soon as you see
> >      >it!  And pass this message along to all of your friends,
relatives
> >      and
> >      >the
> >      >other readers of the newsgroups and mailing lists which you are
on
> so
> >      >that
> >      >they are not hurt by this dangerous virus!!!! >
> >      >Please pass this along to everyone you know so this can be
stopped.

> >      >PASS THIS ON TO YOUR FRIENDS!!!
> >      >
> >      >DO NOT open or even look at any mail that you get that says:
> >      "Returned
> >      >or
> >      >Unable to Deliver"  This virus will attach itself to your
computer
> >      >components and render them useless. Immediately delete any mail
> items
> >      >that
> >      >says this.  AOL has said this is a very dangerous virus, and
there
> is
> >      NO >remedy for it at this time, Please Be Careful, And forward to
> [...]

 To quit LM_NET (or set NOMAIL or DIGEST), Send an email message to:
 listserv@listserv.syr.edu          In the message write either:
 1)  SIGNOFF LM_NET         or
 2)  SET LM_NET NOMAIL      or
 3)  SET LM_NET DIGEST