At our college, the students are assigned to nearly every department in
the library.  I'll see if I can give you a brief rundown of duties for
each area.  I realize that we're a college, but you may find something
helpful.

Circulation:
Shelve books, shelve vertical file materials, read shelves (books and
open periodical stacks), assist with photocopiers and microfilm/fiche
reader/printers, do photocopying (requests from professors and library
staff), retrieve materials from shelves to be placed on reserve, "sweep"
library (go through with empty cart and pick up stray materials, garbage,
etc.)

AV:
Take requests for equipment, pick up and deliver equipment, do inventory
of equipment (we have equipment housed in several buildings), clean
equipment, preview new videos for defects, assist with AV equipment
housed in preview room, duplicate language lab cassettes, file AV
materials catalogs, read AV materials shelves, shelve AV materials,
assist with photocopiers and microfilm/fiche reader/printers, do
videotaping of live events on campus.

Cataloging:
Those with computer skills assist with OCLC searching.  Those without
computer skills assist with the processing of materials.

Acquisitions:
Unpack orders, match newly arrived titles with order cards, donations
(search OPAC, pull titles we already own for comparison with identical
gift title, write gift forms), maintain vendor catalog files.

Director's Office:
Deliver mail (twice daily), file, photocopying of library forms, shelve
materials in special collections.
Archives:
File newly arrived materials, search for requested items, assist with
annual display (for commencement/alumni reunion weekend), matches up
"mystery photos" (those for which we have no information and are
published in our alumni newsletter and displayed at the reunion) with
handbooks/student newspaper for preservation microfilming.
ILL/Periodicals:
Shelve periodicals, assist with gathering loose issues to send to
bindery, pull materials requested for ILL, duplicate journal articles for
ILL.
All students run errands when needed.
Barbara R. Herbert          Librarian/NASA ERC Coordinator
Georgian Court College
Margaret, it is another one of those things that depends on the student.
Some can handle more responsibilities than others. I had one for the past
two years that was so conscientious and dependable that he was given duties
that I would not let just anyone do. He did a lot of the clerical jobs that
normally would be done by a clerk - if I had one.
I have had others that I would trust with nothing more than running errands
and housekeeping types of duties. You just have to learn what the student
is capable of and go from there. I really miss my former student assistant
but he graduated last year.
Start one out with simple jobs and build from there - or keep it simple.
Good luck, JoAnn Hayes
I have teenaged boys who do work study for tuition credit.  My assistants
give me anywhere from three to five class "hours" a six-day cycle, depending
on the amount of their grant.  As part of their grant, they learn how to
shelve books, shelve periodicals, do some book covering and labeling jobs,
but, more importantly, they are my cleaning crew.  The maintenance department
at Xavier basically is not up to dealing with the miles of counter space
which must be dusted almost daily (it's all black), as well as the glass
which has to be cleaned, and carpet which needs vacuuming on a regular basis.
 There will be very happy wives some day who discover that their husbands
know how to vacuum a carpet, dust, and tidy - because I don't let them shirk
their jobs.  If you have tables to clean, shelves to straighten, etc, you
will be amazed at how efficient your work force can be.
Hope that helps.
Mary Veronica Amison, librarian, Xavier High School, NYC
My beginners are trained to shelve books, check materials in and out, assist
students in using the electronic catalog.  As the year progresses, they add
responsibilities in helping students use specific CD-ROM databases, as well
as knowledge of Dewey # and Sears subject headings.

My second year students (nearly all repeat for the maximum of two years) do
all of the above, plus processing book orders, maintain periodicals, and
answer general reference questions.  As the year progresses, they add
additional reference tools so the scope of what they answer (before refering
to me) expands.  They are expected to be 'expert' in at least one-third of
the CD-ROM databases we use (currently 18).

My library science student(s) (I only take one or two a year) learn simple
cataloging, data entry, MARC format, and as the year progresses add
knowledge of LCCN and LC subject headings to their grounding in Dewey and
Sears. (Working for me for at least one year prior is a prerequisite for
Library Science.)  This is a tech-prep class that prepares for entry-level
work in public or academic libraries.
Mark Williams Senior Librarian Colton High School
Shelving, checking out materials, checking the computer catalog, pulling
books, reading and keeping their assigned shelves in order (and we are lucky
if we average 1 a semester who works on that), pull magazines for checkout,
copy articles when requested, run errands, stamp the mail, check in if have
reliable student, help with bulletin boards.  They used to file above the
rods in the card catalogs.  Now they help with computer catalog when
students have questions.  They reboot computers, help with printer problems,
etc.
Alice J. Creveling, Libn.SM North H.S. Ks
It depends on the abilities and willingness of the individual aides, but
I've done all of the following using aides at one time or another:
+entering cataloging information (a really smart kid)
+checking in books
+re-magnetizing books and reshelving
+shelf-reading of "their" part of the library
+managing the magazine room (we only have enough space for 5 yr. worth of
magazines -- except Nat'l Geographics, which we have back as far as 1929!
-- so each year, one year's worth have to be discarded and sometimes the
magazines need to be moved, labels re-done, etc. The student who did this
was one of the most mature students I ever had!
+re-arrange furniture at the end of the day
+pick up mail from the office
+tie up paper for recycling (a big thing in CA, not so much in GA I
understand)
Joyce Conklin, San Mateo HS, San Mateo CA
Mine do anything I need done. Primarily:
Shelve books,
read shelves,
work the circulation desk,
put up bulletin boards,
run errands,
deliver overdue notices,
watch for damage and breaches of security,
help process new books,
put out new magazines,
DUST and clean where necessary,
file, alphabetize, etc.
And lots of other stuff I haven't mentioned.
They also have a student aide booklet with assignments to complete and
are tested occasionally.  They have a final exam each semester.  They
also learn to use all of our computer programs and are able to help
other students with them.  They also keep me cheery and remind me of
things that my poor old brain can't remember.
Lee Gordon   Eldorado High School   Las Vegas, NV
I have my media assistants do all kinds of things.  Of course they
shelve books, but I also assign them a section of the library they are
"responsible" for.  They have to check it daily to make sure it is in order.
They also run errands (a job they just love), straighten out newspapers and
magazines,  answer the telephone, check books in and out.  Right now we're
moving furniture due to new carpet so they are moving a lot of stuff.  They
do just about anything I ask.  Hope this helps.
Carol Petrie, Media Coordinator West Brunswick High School Shallotte, NC 28470
Our student aides do:

Shelving
Maintain shelf order of a select part of the collection
Straighten up the library floor
Laminate
Copy videotapes
Deliver A-V equipment
Assist students with library use
Check out materials
Run errands
Put newspapers on poles
Manage the network printer
Stamp new books, add date dues
Answer the telephone
Dust
Check in new magazines
Some, not all assist with computer work
Linda Elliott

Margaret Hunt
Martinez, Georgia
mchunt@mindspring.com
Where everything I learned today will be null and void tomorrow.

 To quit LM_NET (or set NOMAIL or DIGEST), Send an email message to:
 listserv@listserv.syr.edu          In the message write either:
 1)  SIGNOFF LM_NET         or
 2)  SET LM_NET NOMAIL      or
 3)  SET LM_NET DIGEST