HIT: Organizing web site addresses Part 1

Here is a compilation of the responses I received.  Thanks to all who
contributed.  I now have some great ideas for organizing depending on
how I want to use the addresses.
***
I purchased one of those five subject small spiral notebooks from the
back to school supply piles.  Then with in each of the five sections I
divided up the alphabet and put in letter tabs.  This gave me about 6
pages per letter.
        Now when I come across a great site I put it in the correct spot
in my
book.  If the title of the site doesn't fit very well with it's subject
then I put it according to subject, otherwise it is under title.  With
some cross references.  After several years of keeping this notebook I'm
getting close to the end of some sections.  But, It’s been a godsend.
I'm hardly ever at the same computer working, and my at home searches
are all different, so bookmarking doesn't work very well for me.  I Have
a few things book marked for the students, but my collection is to huge
for a single machine, plus it is transportable.  I don't leave home
without it.
***
I just organize them in order by subject.  I haven't done it yet, but
I'm going to 3-hole punch them and put them in a binder with dividers
for each subject.
***
I have my pages organized under disciplines (when they can
be done this way); some are "under" a general topic.
***
I have been toying with this idea myself, and I think a Rolodex
is probably the best answer.  You don't need a 3x5 card (Too big) and a
notebook is too permanent.  I like that you can pop the cards in and out
of
a Rolodex.
***
I am using an old drawer from my shelf list to but the addresses on
cards and give a subject.  On the back of the card I put some ideas on
how I think the information could be used.  It is a lot easier than
keeping track of the printouts.
***
I would organize them according to grade and subject.  Example:
Science-Gr. 4.  Within that, you could have other folders like earth
science or volcanoes or oceans.
***
I finally found a large 3 ring binder and set up tabs by
class and subject area.  I highlight the subject so it's noticeable.
It's
working for me, until I outgrow the binder!
***
Since most of the ones I have are geared to help students with research,
I organized them according to the curriculum. For example: I made an
English file. Under English, I put the units taught, Mythology,
Folktales, Grammar etc. and put the addresses
under the appropriate file. Holidays went under Social Studies, as did
ancient Rome, Greece etc.  Atlases, dictionaries, encyclopedias went
under
Research Tools. It is a bit simplistic, but I work with middle schoolers
and many of them don't have internet access at home.

--
Mary Stewart Lewis, Director of Library Media Services
The Benjamin School

 To quit LM_NET (or set NOMAIL or DIGEST), Send an email message to:
 listserv@listserv.syr.edu          In the message write either:
 1)  SIGNOFF LM_NET         or
 2)  SET LM_NET NOMAIL      or
 3)  SET LM_NET DIGEST