Hi,
Good luck; you have a major challenge ahead of you.  Several years ago we
faced a similar prospect but at least we had several months for work;
unfortunatley to no avail.  But two years later the staff cuts were
restored.

I hope you have contacted your state affiliate of AASL and ALA, the state
library department(in the state ed dept).  We presented reasons like info
from the Colorado study and other articles citing the connection between
libraries and achievement.  We recruited supporters, parents mostly, and
teacher colleagues to speak to the Board both publicly and privately.  We
created an ad in the local newspaper; colleagues in adjoining districts
wroteletters and then we circulated petitions.

As I said, they cut half the elementary librarians; secondary are
mandated in NYS.  No appeal to reason worked.  However after two chaotic
years the principals and staff at the elementary buildings and parents
too complained so much that the Superintendent recognized he had made a
mistake; so the Board voted to restore and  since those who were layed
off took other jobs we now have some positions filled by uncertified
people.  I wish you well.
patsy Robertson Odyssey School Greece Central-a suburb of Rochester, Ny
proberts@greeceny.com

 listserv@listserv.syr.edu              In the message write EITHER
 1)  SIGNOFF LM_NET  2)  SET LM_NET NOMAIL  or 3)  SET LM_NET DIGEST
 For more help see LM_NET On The Web:  http://ericir.syr.edu/lm_net/