I only have a few responses to my question about using a monitor or large TV
for teaching computer search strategies with our Winnebago system. I
neglected to say that we are using MACS. I had an equal number of requests to
post a hit. The replies are below.  We have yet to make a decision but will
probably have to go with a TV as funds do not allow the purchase of a LCD
panel or projector.
Thank you to those who responded to my query. Nancy

Nancy Hall      nphHall@aol.com
Library Coordinator Secretary
Orinda Union School District
Orinda, CA  94563

<I am dealing with the same problem - how to show what's on my computer

screen to a class of approx. 23 elem. students.  Last fall I purchased a

Zenith TV (approx. $500) that the distributor assured me many schools were

using for the same situation. Sorry I can't give you its specs - I am

writing this at home.  Medium and large size fonts show up very well, but

the small fonts still cannot be easily read by a class.  My computer lab

(in the room next door) had the funds to purchase a projector.  That has

provided great readability.  At my previous school we had the money for an

LCD overhead projector.  That too worked great.  I am disappointed with my

Zenith.  I would recommend that you look into a projector or an LCD

overhead.

*******
Hi Nancy,
  I use a 25" TV. The key to the readability of the text is to increase the
size of the text on the screen and in the Winnebago program. That makes the
text readable (also it makes the computer screen very friendly for those
students who refuse to wear their glasses ;-) ).
  I'm not sure if you are in a Mac or WINTEL environment, on the Mac you
adjust the size of the text on the screen by going into the "Views" under
the control panel and adjusting the size of the font (you can also adjust
the font as well).
  The version of Winnebago that I use (3.0) does not have an adjustment for
the size of the font. Maybe if she has a different version it does.
However, Netscape does and that is what I use my setup for most of the time.
  Hope this helps.

********
Gateway2000 has a Destination computer with a 25" screen meant for teaching.

*******
Hi Nancy,
        I use an LCD panel or LCD projector which is hooked up to one of my work
stations for the Winnebago when I teach searching on the electronic catalog.
 It is then projected onto the screen attached to the wall.  The picture is
very clear and all are able to read the words.  I wouldn't go any other way.
 The LCD panels are very hard to find now as they are being replaced by the
projectors.  Quite honestly, if you don't have either, I would definitely go
with the projector.  It doesn't require the room to be as dark for clear
readability and the cost is fairly comparable to the panel and the extra
lumen overhead projector necessary for it.  The projector can also be used to
show videos to a large group.  A TV screen is not nearly as clear nor can it
accommodate as large a group.
********

 listserv@listserv.syr.edu              In the message write EITHER
 1)  SIGNOFF LM_NET  2)  SET LM_NET NOMAIL  or 3)  SET LM_NET DIGEST
 For more help see LM_NET On The Web:  http://ericir.syr.edu/lm_net/