We had a wonderful Physical Education programme in our high school based
on the idea that we should be teaching recreation that would be used
after the students graduated.  Because of it, I was an ongoing source of
all sorts of recreational items - decks of cards, rule books, and, yes,
board games.  What we did was to count and list the pieces on both the
signout card and pocket.  Once a week, we had students go through the
returns and identify missing items, replacing what we could from the
regularly discarded games.  Was it worth it?  Yes, in terms of the
course, but I wouldn't jump at the chance to do it again.  It, like the
new items (computer disks, cd-roms, etc.), are a real challenge that
have to be planned very carefully.  Just in case you're interested, we
keep the original (Master) floppy disks and circulate a duplicate.
These are reformatted when returned, in case of viruses, and a new copy
made.  We make only 1 copy for each Master, no multiple copies.  In
terms of cataloguing, we catalog the book and the disk separately, so
that each can be signed out.  Earl Sande (Upper School Librarian,
International School of Tanganyika, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania.  e-mail :
sandes@wilkins-dsm.com)

 listserv@listserv.syr.edu              In the message write EITHER
 1)  SIGNOFF LM_NET  2)  SET LM_NET NOMAIL  or 3)  SET LM_NET DIGEST
 For more help see LM_NET On The Web:  http://ericir.syr.edu/lm_net/