Several people asked me to share information about how to inquire about a
particular doctor's history or record.  I had asked for help with this on
January 29th.
In New York State, we can call a division of the Health Department called the
Professional Medical Conduct Office at 518-474-8357.  This office can tell
you if there have been charges of misconduct filed against a physician.
  There is now a new web site at www.nysed.gov that will get you the same
information.
I was inquiring about how to do this for a teacher whose daughter was going
to operated on in the state of Texas.  I eventually called directory
assistance for Houston and asked for the number for the Health Department in
Texas.  A very helpful person in the Health and Human Services Dept. gave me
an 800 number for their Board of Medical Examiners, which is located in
Austin, who provide the same kind of information as our Professional Medical
Conduct office in Albany.  I was also given the number for the county medical
society and advised that they would help also.  I passed both of these
numbers on to my colleague, who made her own calls of inquiry from home.
 Thanks to all of you who took the time to try to help me that day.  I and my
colleague are very grateful.

LM_NET Archive Home