Apologies for the multiple postings BUT, would you mind completing
this survey in each listserv where you receive it? The introduction
is longer than the questions! Following the letter of introduction
are 4 short questions which should take about 5 minutes.

Dear colleagues on LM_NET,

My name is Krista Clement. This survey of all members of the
listserv "LM_NET" is being conducted for part of a study I am doing.
My study looks at the communication on certain library-related
listservs to discover how we, as librarians, are using e-mail to
discuss issues of intellectual freedom and censorship. I am doing
this directed study for a Master's Degree (MLIS) at the School of
Library, Archival and Information Studies at the University of
British Columbia.

The following questions are about your use of _this listserv_, and
how this listserv facilitates communication on intellectual freedom
and censorship issues. You need not answer all or any of  the
questions; there are no negative consequences for not participating.
Your name or association will not be connected with your answers;
all responses will be stripped of their reply headers and remain
anonymous and confidential. When you send a reply answering one or
more of the questions, you indicate willingness to participate in
the study.

If you have any questions about this survey, you may e-mail me at
the address in my signature, or telephone me personally at
1-604-737-1063 (Canada). If you wish to verify the authority of this
project, please contact my supervisor, Prof. Ann Curry, at
curry@unixg.ubc.ca.

Now, as promised, the four brief questions.

**********************************

Please use the reply function of your e-mail program to answer this
survey. You should see my address only in the To: box. DO NOT choose
to reply to all recipients!

Type an "X" between the brackets of your response for each question.

1.
Have you ever posted to this listserv, LM_NET, on an intellectual
freedom issue?
Yes   [  ]
No    [  ]

2.
If an incident related to intellectual freedom occurred in your
library, for example a patron challenge of a title, would you
(personally):
(Place an X in the brackets of ALL THAT APPLY)

A.  Not publicly report it at all     [  ]
B.  Post a report to this listserv      [  ]
C.  Post a report to a different listserv      [  ]
     Please specify lists you would post to:__
D.  Send a report to the ALA Newsletter on Intellectual Freedom
     [  ]
E.  Report it in some other print journal or newsletter     [  ]
     Please specify the periodicals to which you would send a
report:__

3.
Which ONE OPTION ABOVE would you be _most likely_ to take?
Please enter the letter from question #3:  [  ]

4.
Do you have access to a subscription of the American Library
Association's _Newsletter on Intellectual Freedom_ at home or at
work?
Yes  [  ]
No   [  ]

If you have any other comments on the topic of using listservs for
communication, please add them here:

If you have any comments on this survey, please add them below this:

Now, please check that your answer is not being sent to the entire
list!
 If you wish to receive a message giving the general results of
this survey, place an "x" here: [ ] Results will only be posted to
the list as a whole if the rate of return and requests for results
warrant.

Thank you for taking the time to help with this project.

========================

Krista L. Clement
Student
School of Library, Archival and Information Studies
831 - 1956 Main Mall
University of British Columbia
Vancouver, BC, Canada. V6T 1Z1

klclemen@unixg.ubc.ca