1.

From: "Kathryn K. Lafferty" <klaffert@PEN.K12.VA.US>

There's a great professional book called "What Do Kids Read
Next " (or possibly, "What Do Children Read Next") that does
exactly what you want.  It lists boot titles, other books by
the same author, and other books with the same general theme,
with abstratcs on each book.  I just got it for my own library.
From: Bob and Laurie Carter <lcarter@woodside.k12.ca.us>

  ...There may be something in the archives, it does sound
...I know there was something like On beyond goosebumps.

From: Mary Ferland <m_ferland@conknet.com>

There is a useful publication called "What Else Should I Read: Guiding Kids
to Good Books" by Matt Berman/ Libraries Unlimited 1995/ISBN 1-56308-241-1.
It would help in this situation, but weaves titles mostly by theme.
From: Cathy Johnson <cjohnso@muse.sfusd.k12.ca.us>

        Gale Research Inc., has two reference books that deal with just
that issue.  I have 1 called What to young adults read next?  There is also
one for children but I'm not sure of it's exact name.  These are quite
expensive but I have found that it is a very good resource.
From: jwright <jwright@epix.net>

        The name of the book is What Else Should I Read?: Guiding Kids to
Good Books, Vol.1 by Matt Berman available from Libraries Unlimited.
The toll free number is 1-800-237-6124.

...There is another book from Libraries Unlimited I got recently
that was called something about " Quizzes for 200 books". I thought I would
use it for special library "hunts" or challenges or "all school"
question of the week...lots of ways to use this book. You might want
to look at it.
From: Sarah Lantz <sarahl@ccpl.carr.lib.md.us>

Hi Pat-
As soon as I saw you request for book links I knew I had seen a site
*somewhere* that offered just that.  Just found the site again tonight;
you might want to take a look.  Hope it gives you what you need!

http://madison.ssd.k12.wa.us/CHAMBERS/lists.htm

...Well, actually....when I went back and checked the site closer, it isn't
all that great:(  It does have a few lists to a few other books but not
like I remembered.  Maybe I'm still thinking of a different site; maybe
I'll even find it again some day and will send it to you if I do.  I can't
believe I didn't bookmark it!  So...if your browser isn't up to snuff
don't feel like you're missing a whole lot!  Sorry to get your hopes up.

2.

From: jwright <jwright@epix.net>

            mislib@epix.net
You might also consider doing something like....if you like "Hatchet
you will probably like ....(and the name of another survival story
like Hugh Glass, Mountainman by Robert McClung).
From: aanderson@lakes.ring.com

 If you like Christopher Pike you might also like these authors. . .
Nicholas Adams
Joan Aiken
Mickey Alman
D.E. Athkins
Avi
A. Bates
Jay Benett
Caroline B. cooneyh
Richie Tankersley cusick
Nicole Davidson
Peter Dickinson
Lois Duncan
Carol Ellis
Eileen goudge
Jeff Hammer
Diane Hoh
Welwyn Wilton Katz
Joseph Locke
Jaon Lowry Nixon
Richard Peck
P. J. Peterson
William Seator
Barbara Steiner
RL Stine
Rosemary Wells
Robert Westall
Phyllis A. Whitney

>From a library bookmark. (Young Adult Services, Wayne Oakland Library
Federation)
From: Velda McMorris <libams@echo.sound.net>

If you like books by R.L.Stine, try books by:
Bellairs, John
Bennett, Jay
Cohen, Daniel (non-fiction)
Cooney, Caroline
Coville, Bruce
Duncan, Lois
Gorman, Carol
Harrell, Janice
Hoh, Diane
Kehret, Peg
Nixon, Joan Lowrey
Pike, Christopher
Roberts, Willo Davis
Steiner, Barbara
Wright, Betty Ren
From: CRSUPCO@aol.com

What about books by Walt Morey and Jack London.
From: Gwen Habegger <ghabegge@ideanet.doe.state.in.us>

If you like Betty Ren Wright, try Joan Lowry Nixon or Mary Downing Hahn or
Lois Duncan.

OR if you like suspense and action try Bill Wallace or Ben Mikaelson
3.

From: Brunell <brunell@interaccess.com>

        Funny you should ask - I don't have any answers but if you
receive one for Roald Dahl, I would be eternally grateful.  I have a
student who is enamored with him and has read everything I have.  His
mother would also like to broaden his outlook!

:)    Pat Bartoshesky            Saint Edmond's Academy (Gr.4-8, boys only)
:)    <pbarto@udel.edu>          2120 Veale Rd.  Wilmington DE 19810-4199
:)     302-475-5370              FAX: 302-475-2256

LM_NET Archive Home