Dear LM_NET Colleagues,

   I put the following information and advice together as a result of a
current discussion on another online group to which I subscribe.
Generally, LM_NET has not had many of these situations, but they do seem
to make the rounds of the online discussion groups, so I thought I might
offer this now.

   LM_NET has a *very* strict policy with regards to those who post
messages that fit the following categories, since they have such an impact
on bandwidth due to their endless repetition, follow-up, and waste of time
administrative spent debunking them.

   Did you just read about some wonderful new online resource? Or have you
just received e-mail about some problem, impending disaster, or
opportunity-- and you are dying to share your information with LM_NET
members?

   If so, STOP before you post.

   Wouldn't it be better if you investigated the online resource and
checked it out to see if it is as good as it is said to be? Or, perhaps
checked out a rumor, warning or offer with the original source or an
expert in the area that might yield valuable additional information? Or
possibly even invalidated the news, thus saving you embarrassment from
posting false information!

   If in doubt about some alarming virus, impending disaster, dire
predicament, victim that needs immediate help, or free offers that sound
too good to be true, please check with someone individually, before
posting to LM_NET.

One interesting source of information is:
   http://kumite.com/myths/
   The Computer Virus Myths Home Page
   This page covers topics such as hoaxes, urban myths, hysterical
postings, false authority syndrome, etc. And best of all: "This site
contains no paid ads and sells no products."

   If it is an Internet service or site you want to recommend tell about,
please examine it closely before recommending it. If a Web address, be
sure you can connect, and that it is worthwhile recommending.

   If in doubt, please contact the LM_NET owners:

      PMILBURY@ERICIR.SYR.EDU  or   MIKE@ERICIR.SYR.EDU

LM_NET Archive Home