On Fri, 7 Feb 1997, Pat Smitherman wrote:

> We usually shut down our computers over the week-end and holidays, but we've had
> conflicting advise about what is best for the computers daily.  Should computers
> be turned off completely at the end of each school day?     Thanks in advance

In our learning resources lab we turn off the computers at the end of
each day.  Our main technology person says that if the computers were
made within the last few years the chips are advanced enough so that it is
OK to turn them off each day and avoid the potential fire hazards which
accompany leaving unsupervised machines running.  If you would like to
have an explanation from the person himself, you may e-mail him:

Kent Yates
yates@alexia.lis.uiuc.edu

He should be able to tell you all you need to know.
Hope this helps :-)

Gabe Gancarz
University of Illinois

LM_NET Archive Home