Rubaiyat wrote:
> Everyone,
>         Did anyone else here that some national parents groups and the
> Christian Coalition are condemning NBC for showing such a film on network
> television.  A show that would depict such violence and full frontal
> nudity.
>
> Curtis L. Clark
> Media Director
> Sherwood Mid/Sr. High School
> Hwy 7, Outer Rd
> Creighton, MO 64739
> 816 499 2230
> 816 499 2258 (FAX)
> sva006@mail.connect.more.net

LM_NET:
In yesterday's edition (2/27/97) of the _Lansing State Journal_ (MI)
there was a small article concerning the controversy over the showing of
_Schindler's List_. It stated, in part:

        "Rep Tom Coburn, R-Okla., co-chairman of the Congressional Family
Caucus, said that 'I cringe when I realize that there were children all
across this nation watching this program.  They were exposed to the
violence of multiple gunshot head wounds, vile language, full frontal
nudity and irresponsible sexual activity.'"

        "'I just wonder if Congressman Coburn is aware that there was
Holocaust, that millions of people died, and it's not something
anybody should ever forget,' said Don Ohlmeyer, NBC West Coast president."

        "'The 65 million viewers who watched _Schindler's List_ on Sunday
night and the 8,000 people who have called with approval to NBC and
Shoah Foundation apparently disagree with Congressman Coburn,'
Ohlmeyer said in a statement."

I believe, with my degrees in Library Science and History, that I am
going to express my opinion in support of NBC's decision to air the
film, and their sponsor, Ford, for their courage concerning their
commercial-free sponsorship of the film.  So, for any interested
parties, the information is :

Mr. Coburn can be reached at the following :
        Tom Coburn (R)
        United States House of Representatives
        429 Cannon Building
        Washington D.C. 20515
        Phone : 202-225-2701
        Fax : 202-225-3038

The Shoah Foundation can be reached at :
        Shoah Foundation
        P.O. Box 3168
        Los Angeles CA 90078-3168
        Phone : 818-777-4673

NBC can be reached at :
        National Broadcasting Company, Inc.
        30 Rockefeller Plaza
        New York NY 10112-0002
        Phone : 212-664-4444
        Fax : 212-664-5830

And, Ford is :
        Ford Motor Company
        American Road
        Dearborn MI 48126-0000
        Phone : 313-322-3000
        Fax : 313-845-8981

Chris Turner, Librarian (mailto:turner@scnc.glps.k12.mi.us)
Assistant Varsity Wrestling Coach
(http://scnc.glps.k12.mi.us/hs-sports/wrestling/home.htm)
Grand Ledge High School/220 Lamson Street/Grand Ledge MI 48837
517.627.3354/517.622.1746 (fax)

LM_NET Archive Home