At 04:55 PM 1/4/97 -0500, Alice Yucht wrote:
>There's been some discussion lately on the Public Library Discussion
>Group listserv (publib@nysernet.org)re: School vs public librarians.

Dear Alice,
        Thank you for sharing those postings.  I have been on both sides of
the street during my career.  I understand the frustrations of the public
librarians, tho' I think their perceptions of what we do in the schools does
not seem to be based on experience.  From my experience, I acted more as a
"dispenser" of resources in the public realm rather than a "guide" and
educator as I do in the schools.  I would never have asked a patron in the
public library where they have already looked, what key words are they
using, what their task was - I would just find what they asked for.
        I have always wanted to keep our doors open evenings, weekends, and
holidays, but there just isn't any money and it just is NOT SAFE to be the
only one on campus. I must admit that at one point in time I did work in a
small rural library where I was the only person - I was just too young and
stupid to be afraid.  The public librarian's perception of the students not
being able to use the library except during assigned times is a bit
disturbing.  Perhaps he works near a school which does not have flexible
scheduling.  My students can come in at any time during the school day plus
1/2 hour before and after.
        We have a very good relationship with the public library in our
district.  We have meetings twice a year to discuss mutual concerns and
interests.  We do some reading incentive projects together. The children's
librarian comes to the school sites to do book talks and distribute library
card permission slips. We try to notify them whenever there is a project for
which we do not have adequate materials. Whenever we are doing a project
involving a set of books (such as the California Young Reader Medal program
or Battle of the Books) we notify them of the titles, as well as the local
bookstores so that they can stock up on them. When the Board of Education
recently proposed so program cuts, we were, of course, on the list.  The
public librarians all came to our defense. They spoke eloquently to the
difference in focus, purpose , and collection in our respective tasks,
assuring the Board that they could not adequately provide services or
resources  for the chldren of the district.
        Having been both it never occurred to me that it would be a them vs.
us situation.  Resources and money are so tight we should all cooperate to
find the best solutions for all our patrons.
Jamie Murphy Boston, Librarian
Davis Joint Unified School District
Birch Lane Elementary, 1600 Birch Ln.  Pioneer Elementary, 5212 Hamel St.
Davis, CA 95616
916-757-5395/5413(FAX)
& 757-5480/5423(FAX)
jamieb@dcn.davis.ca.us