Dear Friends,
I read with interest the posting via Alice Y. re. the public librarina
listserv discussing school and public librarians.  I was not going to
engage, just watch this one, but ... The more I thought about it... I have
never been a public librarian so I cannot speak from that experience;
however, I spent eiight years as a chool librarian and cannot believe that
I am so different fromthe rest of you.  First, Mr. Casey, teachers
generally work 10 month years, not nine.  Yes there are a number of
holidays built into this, but I almost always spent some time in the
library working on those catch up things I could not do while teaching and
performing the many other duites which fell under the hat of School
Librarian (teacher librarian).  I wore at the very least 4 hats,
faccilites manager, curriculum consultatn, teacher, superviosr (of 40
volunteers and a apid aide).  I was one of the luckier librarians.  Many
do not have a full time or any aide.

Any librarian in a school is very aware of the teaching aspects of the
job, no matter where you perform that job.  Many public librarians helped
me while I worked on my Masters.  I could not have done it without them,
and each one taught me something more about research and librarianship
which I hope that I still carry with me as part of my philosophy.

As for late afternoon or evening hours - some teacher librarians are
prohibited by  teacher union contracts from performing any extra duites
that involve more than the usual time IN THE SCHOOL.  We all do lots
ouside school hours.  I did open my library one evening a week.  This was
discussed with my principal and we went ahead with the project.  Many
months later I learned that this was discussed by the school board and by
the union.  Heaven forbid that I give extra hours.  Even fellow librarins
inthe district were not happy because they were pressed todo the same.
For me, this was VOLUNTEER work about which I felt strongly.  I offered to
stay open after school in the afternoon and the teaching staff at my
school nixed the idea.  You see, Mr. Casey, we have many issues here to
deal with, as I am sure Public librarians also do.

Yes some school librarians may be acquiescent, but I suspect not too many
for the reasons that you state.  Yes public schools do get a great deal of
taxpayer money, but only a small percentage goes to school libraires.
Just look at the average age of books in a school library.  Half the books
in mine dated from before 1960 and taht's from 11,000 books.  I wonder if
the public library has such an old collection!?  Yes we do need more money
for ALL libraries in this country.  Libraries are perhaps the only FREE
thing available to every person, every person in the United Staes.  Lest's
avoid inter necine battles and concnetrate on the reall issue, getting the
proper funding to provide REAL SERVICE to ALL our patron.

Barbara Wall, Oswego County BOCES, School Library Sytem Director, Mexico,
NY  bawall@northnet.org

LM_NET Archive Home