forwarded with permission -- an interesting sidebar to our discussion
---------------------
Forwarded message:
Subj:    School vs. Public Libraries
Date:    97-01-05 10:41:28 EST
From:    LJacobs363
To:      AliceInfo

Alice--
   Thanks for forwarding the two messages from the Public Library Discussion
Group. Mr. Casey is an Illinois public librarian in Oak Lawn, I believe.  His
diatribes have been forwarded to our ISLMANET listserv by another member from
time to time.
   In truth, this is one of his _milder_ attacks against school libraries.  I
do not know the situation in Oak Lawn to know if something happened there
that soured him or if he came to his present position already in a negative
mode.  I do know that the school districts in that area have been living
under tax caps the last few years as has the public library and other
governmental entities.  Maybe the decrease in tax monies has caused some of
this attitude by Jim.  I do know that many of the schools in that area are
cutting drastically the amount of funds spend on new materials and staff.
   You are correct in that we should be aware of the attitudes that are out
there.  In my conversations with other public librarians, this is  not the
general attitude.  I do not know if Mr. Casey can have an attitude adjustment
or not.
  Just thought you would like some background.

Lou Ann Jacobs
ISLMA Public Affairs Chair

LM_NET Archive Home