Regarding:

> Date:    Sat, 4 Jan 1997 16:55:25 -0500
> From:    Alice Yucht <AliceInfo@AOL.COM>
> Subject: GEN: opinions re: school vs. public librarians

I have had a taste and continue to taste both sides of the spectrum in
libraries.  I am very sympathetic to both public and school libraries and
librarians.  The last thing I would want to do is to badmouth ANY librarian
or library because the problems, in my opinion, are with funding and the
administrative binds libraries are put through to just be a part of
education.  I've seen and heard of private and commercial libraries that
receive more support than from the educational powers that be.

I'm very young when it comes to understanding the history of libraries and
education, and coming from California, where setting trends in education is
not one of our strong points,  I cannot understand how libraries EVER came
to be without the idea of EDUCATION in mind.

Therefore, I would like to suggest that when we speak of
libraries--whether they be public, school, or private--let us sing, if not
ROAR, in a united harmony of advocating libraries as a necessary
foundation to an education.

It is my strong hope that I do not have to read reactive mail about public
vs. private libraries, because let's face we're in the same boat and I don't
want to see it sink.

--
Ms. Sylvia Castro
Fowler High School Library