There are the replies that I received when I asked for input concerning the
changes in our jobs over the last 20 years.  The HIT is long and will be
sent in tow parts.

Two brief notes before the longer replies:

From M.K.Stoff: 20 years?  How about 20 minutes?   ;-)
From Missi Baker: As recently as 5 years ago, Missi was trained in fixing
filmstrip projectors, not in CD-Rom technology!

I have been a library media teacher for almost 30 years and now have 19
computers and a novel network and now must pick out CDRoms and other
technology.  Also, I redesigned a media  theater for large class
presentations and projections and have and am still writing grants to get
money for our library.  Technology is definitely the big change; however, I
now see that a lot of teachers are teaching in the class room what I used to
teach since they now have all the computers in their class rooms.  One
English teacher is teaching the Freshmen how to use the card catalog which
makes my job easier in one way.  I told him he was doing my job and he said
he did not have time to read new books or find new materials and that would
be my job in the future.                        Joan Lundgard

Librarianship in schools has changed most due to the decrease in time spent
processing, covering books, cataloging etc. and other mundane duties.  We
spend more time involved in public relations, curriculum, selection,
teaching and training particularly on CD usage, Boolean logic, critical
thinking, online searching, Internet usage etc.  We still teach information
searching, just use different and more efficient tools.  We have even added
tracings so students can locate a particular play, person or short story
within a collection with ease.  It's more exciting than ever after thirty
years!  Peggy LaPorte, Marquette HS, Chesterfield, MO

One of the most obvious change has, of course been the introduction of
databases and online information access. So, now we need to be
somewhat computer literate, not only in using the databases, but in
changing ink jets, and minor troubleshooting, etc.

The other major observation I have from 22 years experience, is that
we are working with many more subject areas.  We only used to have
social studies and English teachers coming in.  Now, every subject
area uses the library - BECAUSE we are able to access a wider variety
of information due to the databases, and online.  And, of course we
can do it faster, etc.

Instead of working with just students and teachers, everyone in the
school uses the library.  Custodians, clerks, cleaners,
administrators, all have questions we help them answer.

I think the content of our collections has changed also, as we have a
lot more mateirials that answer questions based in the present, rather
than ones based in the past (history), and I think our success with
that is creating a more dynamic image for the library.

Another area I see a real increase in is the number of ERIC searches
I'm doing for administrators.  This is really a good sign, because
this means that I can supply them with articles pro- and con- about an
idea, as well as the fact that now they make informed decisions about
an educational practice rather than an "educated guess" based on
inuition or someone else's recommendation.

So, I guess, the major change is that our library no longer has walls,
and that we're all over cyberspace.

Carolyn Gierke
Sweet Home High School

I have been a school librarian for exactly 20 years (19 at my current
school).  I have seen the field change from occasional filmstrips, 8mm
filmloops, 16mm movies (my AV 101 class taught us how to hand thread Graflex
16mm projectors and to dig slides out of the old one-slide-at-a-time
convertible filmstrip machines), slides, and catalog cards,  to computers,
video (both disc and cassette), CD-ROMs, word processors and the Internet.

Although the basic need for information has not changed, the format
certainly has.  So much of it is now visual through pictures and images
rather than textbooks and drill sheets.  Our kids now seem to need to be
entertained in order to learn anything.  Don't get me wrong, however.  The
computer and video revolution has leveled the playing field in the search
for information.  Let the computer look in the confusing (in their minds)
index and find the stuff.  They can take the printout, highlight what they
need, and go from there.  From the library administration side, with
automation systems and preprocessing, we can provide books so much faster
than in the old days.  (I absolutely hated typing cards on the old manual
typewriter that I used to have.  When I finally got an Apple IIe computer
with word processor, I cleared up 18 months of back cards in three days.
And I thought I was really hot stuff! to use a computer that way.)  Using
the Internet gives my students a broader perspective of the world and access
to information that they wouldn't have had in our small town.

Debbie Thompson

My role has changed due mostly to the computer.  20 years ago I spent hours
typing catalog cards after doing the cataloging.  My clerk did processing
but didn't type.  If I created a bibliography, it didn't change for years.
The inservice I gave then had to do with how to use microfilm to do research.

Now I do cataloging, overdues, bibliographies (lots), Newsletters on the
computer.  When programming a VIC 20 with 5K was new in the early eighties,
I taught programming to the teachers and the kids.  When word processing in
the mid eighties was new I was the inservice instructor for that.  Now I'm
teaching the teachers and the kids CD-ROM use, OPAC, and the internet.
Teaching philosophies have changed me.  I still read stories and do book
talks, but I tend to read stories related to classroom theme and do book
talks around genres being studied in the classrooms.

For research I am trying to collaborate more with the teachers and to
incorporate Big Six Skills into my information strategies.  I use KWL
graphic organizers with the kids.  I do launches to get a topic started.

Since the end of the seventies I have used what I call "stations" to teach
reference skills hands on, but in isolation from classroom topics.  Only
with a few teachers have I been able to inforporate skills into classroom
work, but my hands on stations idea with the teacher and myself as coach is
now becoming the "new" (old) center idea.  Some things cycle around to the
vogue again.

Some other things don't change.  It is still a struggle to collaborate.  I
am still one of the few people in the school that knows every child and can
watch the child's propgress over the years.  I am still the person people
turn to for tehcnical advice and for ideas for reading and for reference
questions and for organizing the book fair and school-wide reading programs.

Joan Kimball

While my perspective is that of an elementary librarian it too has changed
in many ways in the last twenty years.  Print resources were all we dealt
with then with the exception of filmstrips and study prints.  We didn't have
computers and did all signing out and filing by hand.  Typing, filing, and
pulling catalog cards as well as sending overdue notices took a large part
of the time.

Our budgets were grand by some of today's standards.  Open or British
education propgrams were popular in some places and allowed freedom to
students but that didn't reach the library except for the noise sometimes.
The bicentennial celebration of the country was a big reference area for
several years.  Classes were rigidly scheduled and came weekly.  When
special projects came up we boxed the materials and sent them to the
classrooms.  The library couldn't be used spontaneously because it was
always being used for classes.  Showing films was considered questionable
unless you could prove it was really appropriate to the library program.  It
was hard to find good literature AV ourside of Weston Woods catalogs and
they were so expensive.  We spent a lot of time reviewing alphabetical and
numerical order, using the encyclopedia, parts of a book, and card catalog
lessons (in isolation of course since we were considered a "free period.")

It was still fun!  I have enjoyed the changes and feel that it is the best
job in the world.  We get to see all the kids as they mature and we get to
have an influence on what they become by guiding the things they select and
teaching them to be critical readers.  Books, vidoes, magazines, and
software are better than ever.  The best quality of today's materials is
amazing.  When I compare award winners of the past with today's recipients I
have no doubt that we have come a long way indeed.  Ordering books, opening
the boxes, being the first in the school to read them, showing them to
people and sharing our reactions is a very rewarding way to spend one's
career.  Learning about computers and meeting new challenges is a bonus.

Linda Bryniarski

You could discuss changes in technology, computers: (vastly increased power
and storage capacity [in 1990 suggested server size was 30 to 60 megs,
WordPerfect Office suite is bigger than that,] increased speed, cost
decreasing,) laser printers, networks, CD rOm technology, scanners,
availability of photocopy machines, security systems, Internet, email,
change in authors' perspectives, availability of informatiomn, increased
level of work done by students, automated chekcout, and ACCESS Pennsylvania
[note: statewide database of library holdings].

Above all of this why not discuss the soaring costs of books, periodicals,
supplies and computer and CD ROM programs and databases.  Of course we don't
use nearly as many stamp pads, stampers, dateslips, card pockets or catalog
cards any more.

Clete Schirra

I started this job twenty years ago.  At that time we used cards to check
out books, had a card catalog, 10,000 books, several 16 mm projectors, an
8mm camera and projector, overheads, filmstrip projectors, cassette tape
recorders, reading machines, reel to reel recorders  record players, and
opaque projectors.  Teachers used blackboards, overheads, and occasionally
showed a film in class.  You had to encourage teachers to use media and
projectors.  In the library we were doing all the typing on manual
typewriters.  It took us about three hours every week to do the overdue
lsit.  We spent hours typing cards and processing books.  Today we have a
computerized circulation system, Channel One, VCRs, camcorders, laser disk
players, several computers, Internet access, CD-ROMs, a fax machine, and a
phone.

Kathy Geronzin
Joan Rosen                     *         Cheltenham High School
Librarian                      *            500 Rices Mill Road
jrosen@mciunix.mciu.k12.pa.us  *              Wyncote, PA 19095
fax: (215) 881-6406            *       telephone:(215) 881 6380