I usually just lurk on this list, but I need to speak up.  Summer reading
is a program that is ALIVE and WELL at your local public library. If your
school or district is considering some type of program, blend it with that
already offered at your LOCAL PUBLIC library.  We have done these programs
for years.  We work individually or we organize a region or in several
states, we do a statewide theme.  Here in Rhode Island we will cooperate
with Vermont on a space theme for 97.
How can you blend the program?  Offer to work on program ideas or help
with booklists.  PROMOTE the public library's program and recognize those
who participate when school begins in the fall.  Call, ask and I know that
you will get a positive response from your children's librarian.  The goal
of summer reading is to engage children in reading over the summer -
reading for fun - to help them "work" on those skills that you've been
teaching by providing the practice - just read for the fun of it.
I'd love to have a call from the schools asking if they could participate
in our summer reading program.
Ginny McKee
Youth Services Coordinator, Providence [RI] Public Library
ginnyme@dsl.rhilinet.gov

LM_NET Archive Home