Hi.  I think this has been a terrific discussion about the roles and
relationships between school and public libraries.  I would like to
suggest that we move a bit from "defending" school libraries (and I'm not
suggesting that the messages were necessarily doing this) to (1) positive
statements about what school library media programs and professionals do
and (2) ways in which school and public library programs and professionals
are working together to help people.

You see, what disturbs me is that Mr. Casey is a member of the ALA Board.
I find his views wrong, narrow, and divisive.  But, I think we should be
answering him in a positive but firm way.  Alice Yucht started this
(thanks Alice!), so perhaps she would be willing to compile all the
Casey.

Mike

          |       Mike Eisenberg   <mike@ericir.syr.edu>             |
          |      Professor, School of Information Studies            |
          | Director, ERIC Clearinghouse on Information & Technology |
          |         4-216 Center for Science and Technology          |
          |      Syracuse University, Syracuse, NY 13244-4100        |
          |        Phone: 315/443-4549   Fax: 315/443-5448           |

LM_NET Archive Home