forward....here is another way "in which school and public library programs
and professionals are working together to help people."

In Massachusetts librarians from all types of libraries are meeting together
to form 6 new library regions across the state.  For the first time the
services these regions will provide (ILL, continuing education, shared
databases, etc.) will be offered not only to public libraries but also to
school, academic, and special libraries.  The legislation requires that
planning committees develop plans for each of the new regions.  These
committees _must_ consist of all types of librarians.  As we meet to plan we
are learning a tremendous amount from each other.  School librarians are
learning about the many intricate methods public librarians have of getting
information from libraries around the world, about their budgets and staffing
problems and much more.  Public librarians are learning about our problems
too and our special needs for our students.  It has been, and continues to
be, very valuable for all of us.  As we craft the plans for these new regions
we will have jointly created an array of services that all of us will be able
to take advantage of. In addition, our newly created friendships have already
led to several instances of "helping each other out in a pinch."  I feel very
fortunate to be involved in this process.

Patt Moser
Concord-Carlisle High School
Concord, Massachusetts
moserp@aol.com