Yapha, I would lend 4 to every kid, myself, but I let the teachers decide
since they are the ones who help me get the books back when they are
overdue.  The teachers came up with: 1 for K, 2 for Gr.1, 3 for Gr.2, and 4
for Gr.3-5.
Joan
Joan Kimball (jkim@borg.com)

I check out the same numbers as you do, Yapha, except I allow fourth and
fifth graders to take 4. I don't think it's too few. The more they check
out, the longer it takes so the less time we have for anything else. Also
the more they check out, the more overdue books I have to deal with!

marilynj@muskox.alaska.edu

I think it depends on your student body, to some degree, but as long as
you're automated and have some shelving help, let them take as many as they
want! I usually send a letter home telling parents they should discuss how
many they want to be responsible for, depending on the responsibility level
of their child. It works; been doing it for years, but only in
middle-to-upper socio-economic areas. Kids are honest about how many they
should borrow, and after an initial flurry, settle down to a reasonable
number. The largest borrowers are primary kids whose parents really do read
with them; they'll take 6-8 at a time.

Yapha, the "rules" in our library are -
K - 1 book at a time
1st - 1 or 2 books
2nd - 1, 2, or 3 books
(of course, always with the reminder that you can come and exchange every
day)
and for 3rd and above; "As many as you can read and take care of until you
come to the library again."  I introduce this with talk about Now that
you've had some practice using the library here, I want you to remember to
use your brain and decide what you can handle.  For some kids, they choose
one book at a time.  (For those who have trouble bringing things back, I
will choose that for them! - and I tell them that.)  For most, they end up
getting a small stack.  I found when I had a number that the kids could go
up to, they tended to get that many books, even when they didn't need to
or couldn't really use that many.

The other part of using your brain in our library is to Remember not to be
piggy with books.  Don't take more than one book at a time by the same
author, or all the soccer books, etc., unless needed for a project.

This kind of "talk" with the kids has worked well for me, and reinforces
the kind of thoughtful behavior that we try to encourage throughout our
school.

Hope this helps!

I let all kids have three items at a time.  The younger kids' books are
shorter and can be read in such a short time it didn't make sense to
give them less books.  I don't get bent out of shape if they have
overdues or if they go over the limit, as long as they know they are
still responsible for things it hasn't been too big a problem.  This is
our third year in our new school.

We send out overdue lists to the teachers about once a week in the
morning and they send kids down to return things or explain why they
can't.  With automation it doesn't take that much time to do it.

The problem is returning books to the shelves.  With a daily circulation
of about 250 books we can go crazy if the volunteers don't show up.

Linda Bryniarski

I allow 1 book for K-1, 2 books for 2-5.  However if a student has checked
out two books, and fails to return them on time, they are then limited to 1
book for at least 1 month.

Michele Pozner

I have limited clerical help so I limit borrowing as follows:

    k-1  l book

   gr.2-4 2 books

Every book that is checked out has to be checked back in again and
shelved.  We also send overdue notices.  More circulation does not
necessarily mean that children are reading more because they don't
always read the books that they do borrow.   A child can always come
to the library to borrow a book even though we have regularly
scheduled class times.

Judy Asher, Hillside School, Hastings-on-Hudson
asherj@hillside1.lhric.com

We let k-2 check out 1 book, 3-4 2 books and a mag., and 5-6 3 books
and a mag.  They can come to the library any time so I think for the
most part it works out ok.

Although this is a constant conversation with my paraeducator with whom I
work, I have no limit for checkout for my kids that are third and above.  I
do ask that they not have overdue (books out more than a month) though.
K-1 are one book at a time, 2nd is a couple of books at a time unless they
are working on a research project of some kind.  On this list a couple of
years ago I read something that stuck with me..."even in a prison the
inmates can check out more than one  book at a time!"

Happy Holidays.
Barbara Sanford

Where I have been in the past, and where I am now, we allowed second
through fifth graders only 2 books at a time.  First graders are allowed
only one book at a time.  Kindergarten, where I was last year, began
check out books when the teacher felt the class was ready, somewhere
near mid-term, and were only allowed one book.  Where I am this year,
kindergarteners were not allowed to check out in the past.  The question
hasn't come to me yet, so I have made no changes.  With older students,
we sometimes make allowances, and check out a third book, if it is
needed for a special project.

I hope this is helpful.

Evelyn Ramey

********

K & 1 students check out one book at a time. Other students may have two
books for pleasure and extras if they have assignments from teachers.  My
AG kids sometimes have 2 for fun, and extras for science, AG, socials
studies, and book reports for language arts.  As you said, they may
exchange books anytime they need to.

--

         Sent via ExpressNet/SMTP(tm), Internet Gateway of the Gods!
               ExpressNet/SMTP (c)1994-95 Delphic Software, Inc.