--=====================_852790407==_

Here is the HIT on high school periodical databases.

--=====================_852790407==_

I use UMI University Microfilms International's Magazine Express.  It is about
$3,300 a year.  We get CD's every month with full text from about 100 mag.
and citations from maybe 30 others (not sure of this part).  It's full
image which means we get the pictures too, looks like a photocopied page.
They have various services and prices.  Don't have address here.  But
call 1800-5551212 for their 800 number.  They are in Ann Arbor, MI.
I get good service when I call tech support (no charge, 800 number).
We have Infotrac Tom and I have resisted switching to MAS for the very
reason you mention.  With Tom we get the articles on fiche and what we
don't get is available locally.  Our kids seldom have a turndown on not
being able to find material.  There is a big push from the Model Schools
group to go MAS, but until we have as much access to the Internet to take
advantage of EbscoHost as we do TOM, I will continue as I have been.
I have InfoTrac (TOM) full text and NewsBank and wouldn't want to live
without either.  I have seen ProQuest and like that also.
We are using EBSCO MAS Fulltext.
I use Newsbank/NewsSource and Sirs Government Reporter.
CD-ROM databases we really like are SIRS Researcher, SIRS Government
Reporter, and CD NEWSBANK.  I'm switching from TOM/INFOTRAC to MAS
myself, because the kids want more full text.
We use SIRS (which is all full-text) and Reader's Guide Abstracts Full Text
Mini Edition (from H.W. Wilson) on our DOS based library network.  The
Reader's Guide isn't the best that is on the market, but the price is very
reasonable ($659/quarterly). Our students are very happy with both
products. Of course, they are happy with anything that will provide
information at the last minute!
We use SIRS Researcher.  We have ProQuest but only their abstract database
(can't afford more unfortunately).  I like its indexing/abstracting
capabilities but it seems sometimes that most of the hits are for USA Today
and the New York Times.  These are difficult in our area to ILL -- I think
because of the inconvenience of pulling them off microfiche and printing
them.  I'd love to see the hit on this -- we are thinking about changing,
too, if there is something better and still affordable.
I - too- wonder what is next for us.  We have had TOM with fiche - but I
think that format is a dying one.  I like to have my students see the
real article- even on fiche and then apply a bit of critical thinking and
assess value for intended use.  Digests are not a good or scholarly tool
for true research.  Our students are becoming so superficial in their
searches - and the ease of retrieval of someone's synopsis seems just fine
for some and much easier than reading the original article.

Printers - paper - workstation number - etc. become additional needs and
expenses with the printer "publishing the article" one by one from the full
text.
We use Tom Jr. for middle schools.  It is nothing fancy or snazzy but it
gives the full text for must of the articles... if not, then an abstract.
The kids find the info very useful, but we are looking into the Electric
library to see if that is more cost effective.
Twenty libraries in independent schools in the Philadelphia area have
been working together sharing periodical resources via fax.  As of this
year it is my job to maintain the data base.  At the same time we are
making a decision about full text periodical services.  At the present
time we are using EBSCO.  I thought I would write to all the various
vendors and ask for their list of magazines index and magazines in full
text.
We use RGA full text mega edition by Wilson and are very pleased.  There
are quite a few full text as well as standard indexing.  We also have
SIRS which is only full text of selected magazine and newspaper indexes
which is also VERY useful.
Our school (Torrington High School) uses the following:

SIRS Researcher--a must for any high school
SIRS Governments Reporter--also very good and it is half price
if you buy the Researcher.
Wilson Mega Disc--Full Readers Guide and 200 full text periodicals.
Uses 2 CD drives at one time.
We have Infotrac Tom and I have resisted switching to MAS for the very
reason you mention.  With Tom we get the articles on fiche and what we
don't get is available locally.  Our kids seldom have a turndown on not
being able to find material.  There is a big push from the Model Schools
group to go MAS, but until we have as much access to the Internet to take
advantage of EbscoHost as we do TOM, I will continue as I have been.
We use SIRS Researcher for our magazines.  In the past we use microfiche,
but this program is much better.  The program also includes newspapers.
Charts and graphs can be printed out. The students really enjoys using
this system.

SIRS offers a demo for 60 days.  I had students and teachers use the
program before we ordered it.  SIRS 1-800-232-SIRS
We use SIRS RESEARCHER  and EBSCO.
Both offer full text.
We use Proquest and love it although it is quite expensive($3400/year). It has full
text of 140
periodicals.  We have the Full-Image version which gives you pix, photos, charts,
etc., just as
they appear on the original page.  I just "inherited" this LMC last year and do not
know if I
would have ordered this one because we have only one station---which is ridiculous
for 1200
students.  This version cannot be networked.  However, I am ordering the "text
only" version
which can be networked for only an additional $250, so that I'll have both versions
soon. I have
previewed Infotrac Supertom and loved it since it has periodicals and newspapers
(which I
sorely need) for only around $2000.  It is also so easy to use(great cross
referencing and search
techniques).
Perhaps the best full-text CD-Rom periodical database is SIRS, which costs
$1250 per year.  The library receives three updates yearly and two copies of
each CD. SIRS is completely full-text and includes magazine and newspaper
articles in the sciences and the social sciences.  We think it is great for
current topics like drugs, child abuse, the homeless, etc.
local small college.  Our ILL searches beyond state boundaries for
info, but usually the lead time on student research prohibits a lengthy
search.  We are fortunate to have a UNION list of all the periodicals held
at the school, public and Wabash College libraries in our county.  These
kind people will fax articles to each other, however frequently the
student will just go to the library that has the periodical.

I find that the students want the material NOW and frequently will be
satisfied with the articles that they can print immediately.
Twenty libraries in independent schools in the Philadelphia area have
been working together sharing periodical resources via fax.  As of this
year it is my job to maintain the data base.  At the same time we are
making a decision about full text periodical services.  At the present
time we are using EBSCO.  I thought I would write to all the various
vendors and ask for their list of magazines index and magazines in full
text.  Will you share your list of vendors with me when you get them
all or as they come in which ever is easiest.  I will then do a
comparative chart.

I use Newsbank/NewsSource and Sirs Government Reporter.  Hope this helps, Emma

We are using EBSCO MAS Fulltext.
I have InfoTrac (TOM) full text and NewsBank and wouldn't want to live
without either.  I have seen ProQuest and like that also.

Gail M. Szeliga
ehslib@spectra.net
Union Endicott High School
Endicott, NY 13760