From: procurement@paho.org
To: sarahgid@JUNO.COM (forwarded by Elisabeth Portocarrero)
Cc: elisabeth_portocarrero@fc.mcps.k12.md.us
Subject: Re: Fwd: Peruvian Traditions
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 97 12:32:48 EST

Yes, in Peru it is good luck to wear a yellow panty, or shorts as the
case might be, on New Year's eve.  It is better if the panty
is a present from someone.  There are other traditions for the same
day.  If you want to travel you have to take an empty suitcase and go
around the block once.  Eating twelve grapes or raisins is good luck
for the year.  Cleaning the house with a broom helps to throw away the
old year.  Burning some old things and scattering the ashes also help
to have good luck next year.

Variations on these themes occur throughout the world.  In Paraguay
the panty has to be pink, in other countries red.  I am also told that
in the US, probably the South, eating eight black-eyed peas brings
good luck in the new year. Why eight, I wonder?

Chau for now!

Cesar A. Portocarrero