Responding to the message of <B0000007222@web66.coled.umn.edu>
from     RBETTENCOURT@UMASSD.EDU:
> I am looking for opinions on which
> network system to use with these labs. If you have had any positive/negative
> experiences with Windows NT or Novell NetWare, or if you have an opinion on
> which is better, please email me at either address below.

I invite you to preview the Web66 Windows NT Resource Center:
  http://web66.umn.edu/

First, check with the vendors of any software or hardware
you are planning to use.  That may dictate which operating
system you choose.

If you are doing file sharing, Novell does a better job than
NT.  If you are doing virtually anything else (web, e-mail,
office applications, etc) Windows NT does a better job.

Novell takes quite a bit of expertise to set up.  The new
Windows NT 4.0 is quite easy to set up, so almost anyone can
pretend to be a system administrator.  But once you get past
the basics or run into problems, either OS will require
expertise to support.

However, expect 1997 to be the year of the Intranet.  If you thought
the web browser battles were exciting last year, brace yourself for
even more excitment this year for LAN support tools.  Who knows what
will be available a month from now, much less a year from now.

Microsoft vs. Netscape vs. Lotus vs. Novell (and others?)

http://www.microsoft.com/ntserver/
http://www.netscape.com/
http://www.novell.com/
http://www.lotus.com/worktheweb/whatis.htm