On Fri, 10 Jan 1997, Marty Bausack wrote:

> them in after they are received in transit.  It seems to me that there
> should be a way to both find out what we have sent to other schools and
> what we have borrowed from other schools.

I've been considering this issue for our future use. Right now, we are
not networked throughout the district, but I anticipate that it is coming
soon.  We use MOLLI now and some of us are beginning to convert to
ATHENA.  Both of those allow different collections; for example, I have
TX for a schoolwide writing handbook that we issue from the library; AR
for Accelerated Reader books that are in reading classrooms (purchased
for that purpose and kept there but entered into the school's automation
database), and BH for Brownfield High collection.

If each school is also designated by a different collection....MS for
Middle School, IS for Intermediate School, etc., will that not help to
keep it straight?  Of course, once you have checked your BH books out to
the MS librarian, then tracing the book if he/she checks it out to a
student is the problem.  I wonder if automation companies could set up a
TEMP file in each collection where I could transfer my BH books into
"your" MS TEMP file and you could check it out from there?  That way, I
would have a record of where it went, and you, too, would have a record
of to whom you checked it out without having to do the pen and card
record keeping.

Vendors....are you listening?

Betty
                                .----.
Betty Hamilton, LRS             |    |                701 Cub Drive
bhamilt@tenet.edu           ____|*    ~~~~~~.         Brownfield TX 79316
Brownfield High School      \               |         (806) 637-4523
                                  \     {
                                    \  }
                                      ~

LM_NET Archive Home